What Did You Do In The Garden?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Transplanted a stray raspberry start to bring it more back in line with the row. Fertilized the rhubarb/asparagus/strawberry bed with some kelp and fish emulsion, as well as the spuds.

Moving the seedling trays outdoors on the grow table that is covered with row fabric, like I did last year. This seems to thicken up the legginess of the seedlings as the fabric tends to diffuse the sun's light and bring it closer to the seedlings than the light coming through my windows can.

This way they get water and light from God and not depending on my weak efforts inside a house. This year I plan to do some pruning of the seedlings to help stop some of that legginess as well.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Removed the bunches of garlic from where they were growing, added coop litter to a nearby space and tilled it up, raked it into a nice level bed and replanted the garlic, each well spaced, watered it well and placed a little hay around the bed and garlic to keep moisture in.

Removed strawberries from around the garden and put them in a raised bed, dug up three lemon balm starts and put them in the rose bed.

Used the Rogue hoe to remove any weed seedlings and clumps of grass growing in the garden, put a wheelbarrow load of coop compost in the space where I'll be planting peppers this year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled where the sweet corn goes and one path down main garden. Lot of leaves and straw to work in.

Planted 2 rows of sweet corn-too early but ground was warm. One row with beans, snap peas, lettuce and beets with radish seeds strewn in with all. Seeds were old so if they don’t make it, who cares....

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Planted my potatoes today. I put the chickens in their "Peck N Play" last Friday to clean up the 3' x 6' bed north of the driveway. This bed has 2+ deep of really well rotted manure from 3 winters ago, 2017 and 2018. I was rereading how potatoes can get scab from soil that it too rich. The sides of this raised bed are falling apart but I hooked them back together well enough for one more season. I took my spade to loosen up the soil and planted 17 potatoes--4 Adirondack Blue, 6 "Northam Red" (I THINK?), 6 russets and one huge Idaho that had all sprouted in my bin months ago. I cut the Idaho into 2 pieces---that's how you get 18 planted. I have also read that it's better to plant whole potatoes instead of cut them into individual eyes.
Tomorrow I HOPE to plant lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli and coriander seeds in the same bed. I will watch progress and mound as we go. I Think they will be ready for harvest in August, but if anybody has any more advice, let me know. I have only ever gotten small potatoes in the past. The soil is pretty loose in this bed and nobody but the cats (and maybe Eva) will step in it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
nice day again yesterday, good enough to have finished up the garden i was working on so all the gardens inside the fenced area are now done (from last year) and will only need to be weeded a bit before planting time.

i'm hoping to put some peas in next week along the edges of the garden i just did and then we can put tomatoes or cucumbers in the middle.