What Did You Do In The Garden?

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I watered the vegetable beds, and the herb garden. A bug I've never seen before has stripped half of the romas of all their leaves since yesterday, but not touched the tomatoes themselves, or the beefsteaks. Broke out the DE and sprinkled everything in that bed, just in case. Also coated the roses for good measure.

Found an old mostly composted bale of straw tucked against the side of the barn, dumped it in the new compost bin to help get things cooking. Also emptied out a few hanging baskets with plants that died into the compost bin. Set out a japanese beetle trap, and am amazed at how well it works. Will pick up another one tomorrow for the other side of the house. I go back to work tomorrow, so my garden time is going to be slim for the next few days. Am hoping to make a dent in the hip high weeds in the flower bed, so I can paper and mulch it before my allergies keep me inside.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watered the vegetable beds, and the herb garden. A bug I've never seen before has stripped half of the romas of all their leaves since yesterday, but not touched the tomatoes themselves, or the beefsteaks. Broke out the DE and sprinkled everything in that bed, just in case. Also coated the roses for good measure.

Found an old mostly composted bale of straw tucked against the side of the barn, dumped it in the new compost bin to help get things cooking. Also emptied out a few hanging baskets with plants that died into the compost bin. Set out a japanese beetle trap, and am amazed at how well it works. Will pick up another one tomorrow for the other side of the house. I go back to work tomorrow, so my garden time is going to be slim for the next few days. Am hoping to make a dent in the hip high weeds in the flower bed, so I can paper and mulch it before my allergies keep me inside.

likely a tomato worm. best found in the early morning. they are large and green and can sometimes be found by looking at the ground and seeing where the droppings are freshest (if you can't find them by seeing them on the stems). once the day gets further along they retreat and hide very well. this is the time of the year when they start showing up here too (after the 2nd week of July is normal for us to find them if they are around). so far no signs of them.

we have to check every day once we notice damage because if there is one there may be more and you want to catch them early before they eat a lot of the leaves.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
finished up burying the pea straw and then watered all the vegetable gardens and some transplants that are likely enough not to make it with the temperatures getting so high the next few days. just fragments that i disturbed while weeding yesterday that may eventually take and help fill in and cover some bare ground. i'd really like to transplant a lot of things right now with that north garden being bare and cleaned up to get it covered and less likely to sprout more weeds but now is just a rotten time to do that. once it cools off in the fall will be a much better time (besides it is also better for not having as much weed pressure and competition).

i did decide that i will spread the buckwheat seeds i have left on the places where i just buried the pea straw because that soil was like a rock and the roots from the peas really helped and buckwheat and burying the buckwheat straw in the fall will continue that process. and the deer can't eat it there! finally i have a spot to grow some for further seed harvests and may have enough time to carry it off... that is tomorrow morning's goal. :)

i love it when an unplanned thing happens like this where it just clicks into place. :) i have to remember this for future years... ooh, i have a few other bare spots in the fenced gardens that would be good to get some buckwheat in there too... i like. i like a lot... :) :) :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will have to look. So far bu kwheat seed I found, $35 for 5#. Don’t want 5#’s.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will have to look. So far bu kwheat seed I found, $35 for 5#. Don’t want 5#’s.

rediculous price!

https://www.greencoverseed.com/product/1075/

https://www.groworganic.com/buckwheat-lb.html

no idea what shipping might be like for either.

if you want i can send you some after mine grow out, this morning i planted all my old seed.

i don't know what i have already growing is ripe yet or if the deer will eat it, but hopefully what i planted will give me some this season and it is inside the fence so the deer should not be an issue.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Price per pound is great. Shipping gets you as I need a pound-will look around. TY for references.

Just finished weeding asparagus bed. Huge pile of weeds. Now to dig out the volunteer blackberry starts....I dig and I dig and I dig, pull roots out, yet here they come again....wish I had never bought them 30 years ago.....

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Price per pound is great. Shipping gets you as I need a pound-will look around. TY for references.

Just finished weeding asparagus bed. Huge pile of weeds. Now to dig out the volunteer blackberry starts....I dig and I dig and I dig, pull roots out, yet here they come again....wish I had never bought them 30 years ago.....

Do you suppose those BB volunteers might have been bird planted?
Just curious because I run across them in clients gardens occasionally and I doubt they ever grew blackberries anywhere on their property. For sure not in the 13 years I've been taking care of it.

Latest posts