What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
persnickety weeding is done. the edge along the fence, the beans are supposed to be growing up it but they are a bit inwards so not right next to the fence. it is also a slope downhill towards the fence and then a spot at the bottom to catch water (and dirt if it gets moved by the water). it also catches all the weed seeds. so the persnickety part is reaching through the sticks and strings to scrape and remove the weeds without knocking down the beans - which have already been stressed enough.

four weeds in that garden (mostly), purslane, green carpetweed, grass and some very low growing weed that spreads out and lays right on the ground (it has a milky sap). i used to know the name but have forgotten it at the moment.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forget the names of weeds during the off-season, too.

One that I forget is groundsell. Fairly insignificant weed to pull but persistent at reseeding. Does that growing and setting seeds early. How can I remember groundsell? No, not groundswell ...

Recently, I learned that it has another name: old man in spring. What!? How can I forget old man in spring??

;) Steve

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This morning I watered all of the hanging baskets and porch pots, plus the roses. I also cleaned up armfuls of weeds from where my mama loves me and weeded half the big flowerbed for me while I was at work yesterday. No seed heads, so into the compost they went. I found a couple of dahlias that never got planted tucked into a box on my plant shelf. Surprisingly, they were still alive with sprouts and tiny leaves, so I got them stuck into the freshly weeded flowerbed and watered them well too. It's way too late for them to flower, but I will let them grow, dig them up at the first frost and they should make it through to next spring.

No new damage on the tomatoes...are you talking tomato hornworms, flowerbug? I seem to get them every time I try to plant tomatoes in pots, or slip them into the flowerbed. What I was seeing was some bigger black bug that looked like a lightning bug....but there are definitely droppings on the tomatoes. Little black flecks.

Something...I suspect a rabbit, ate all of the ripening tomatoes they could reach last night. Gotta get that fence up, and next year I am switching to tomato cages. I tried stakes this year, and despite pruning and careful tying everything ended up sprawled on the ground anyway. All of the big beefsteak tomatoes have broken their stakes as they continue to grow.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forget the names of weeds during the off-season, too.

One that I forget is groundsell. Fairly insignificant weed to pull but persistent at reseeding. Does that growing and setting seeds early. How can I remember groundsell? No, not groundswell ...

Recently, I learned that it has another name: old man in spring. What!? How can I forget old man in spring??

;) Steve

we don't appear to have groundsel here, but i have weeded some new ones once in a while which show up being blown in on the wind or carried by animals or from the greenhouse or transported by Mom. she goes around and helps people with their yards and then brings back the stuff she weeds out and dumps it all on a large weed pile. from there the animals may get some of those seeds and move them around. i shudder at some of the stuff she brings and hope it decays comepletely before it gets moved about.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Use heavy duty cages as those cheap $1 cages are ok for peppers, totally worthless on tomatoes-for me.

right, get heavy duty cages if you are going to bother with them at all. the smaller ones just do not hold up long.

a good use for old cheap cages though if someone is getting rid of them is to use them to protect other plants from deer, sort of, it as least discourages them a bit, we had to put something around the clematis this year because the deer have been such pests the clematis could not get growing up their trellises the deer kept eating them back again. so Mom took some of the old cheap cages and bent them so the ends are poking out. right at eye level. i told her that it was a good way for me to lose an eye but i guess that doesn't matter... good thing i don't go out front that much...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished killing the destroyed sweet corn. Planted pumpkins there. If they don’t make it, nothing lost.
Harvested cilantro and poppy seeds. Why is it that cilantro is done just as tomatoes come on? I’ve tried to start new seeds for the 3rd time today.
Planted cabbage and bunching onions seeds as well. It will be a miracle if onions come me up as seed is 9 years old....

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
right, get heavy duty cages if you are going to bother with them at all. the smaller ones just do not hold up long.

a good use for old cheap cages though if someone is getting rid of them is to use them to protect other plants from deer, sort of, it as least discourages them a bit, we had to put something around the clematis this year because the deer have been such pests the clematis could not get growing up their trellises the deer kept eating them back again. so Mom took some of the old cheap cages and bent them so the ends are poking out. right at eye level. i told her that it was a good way for me to lose an eye but i guess that doesn't matter... good thing i don't go out front that much...

I have some homemade cages made of heavy duty fencing panels. Some of them are older than I am, and still going strong. Last year I had problems with the wind knocking them over, and by the time I got them secured with t-posts and wire it was such an eyesore my family complained....my veg garden is in the front yard, lol. I promised to try something a little less embarrassing this year.

I have seen those flimsy tomato cages used turned upside down in pots for climbing flowers, and also as a base for lights and greenery at christmastime

Latest posts