What Did You Do In The Garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are a lot further north than I was. Many things say to plant them as soon as the ground can be worked. Green peas are that way. In some places that might mean when it thaws. For me in Arkansas that meant when it was dry enough to work the ground.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are a lot further north than I was. Many things say to plant them as soon as the ground can be worked. Green peas are that way. In some places that might mean when it thaws. For me in Arkansas that meant when it was dry enough to work the ground.
Why I love sand. For me, when I don’t sink to my ankles......

Soil I used to plant corn/bean to study growth regulators had clay-nasty clumps of clay......

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is what my packets said for peas, beets, turnips, radishes and carrots. But my ground was soft enough to work over a month ago - we've had two snows several inches since then and prolonged periods below freezing. I wasn't sure if they really meant it for such places.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Usually, we have a fair amount of winter snow to melt. Not so much after February, 2020. Usually, the ground is frozen through the winter at a depth that gardens would be cultivated and deeper. One of the warmest Januarys on record, in 2020.

Regardless, my soil is rocky right down to the bottom of the aquifer, many hundreds of feet. It drains easily and quickly. I can't trust the plant as soon as soil can be worked plan.

It is only in the last few days that I have seen any weeds sprouting from 2019 seeds. I could have put seed for garden crops in the ground 2 months ago. Some would have survived but I'm not sure which.

I've planted peas too early in the past - at least, that was how I interpreted a miserable germination rate.

Phenology - what is going on in your plant world? Ya know, plant corn when squirrels pin oak leaves behind their ears ... that sorta thing. Or, soil temperatures - attention to warmth and the seeds will appreciate it.

;) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Usually, we have a fair amount of winter snow to melt. Not so much after February, 2020. Usually, the ground is frozen through the winter at a depth that gardens would be cultivated and deeper. One of the warmest Januarys on record, in 2020.

Regardless, my soil is rocky right down to the bottom of the aquifer, many hundreds of feet. It drains easily and quickly. I can't trust the plant as soon as soil can be worked plan.

It is only in the last few days that I have seen any weeds sprouting from 2019 seeds. I could have put seed for garden crops in the ground 2 months ago. Some would have survived but I'm not sure which.

I've planted peas too early in the past - at least, that was how I interpreted a miserable germination rate.

Phenology - what is going on in your plant world? Ya know, plant corn when squirrels pin oak leaves behind their ears ... that sorta thing. Or, soil temperatures - attention to warmth and the seeds will appreciate it.

;) Steve

yep, i'm not putting peas in until i see a bit more warmer days. we have frosts still coming this week, but the temperatures are at least now more often into the mid 50s. putting peas in too early here means they take a long time to germinate. why do that when i can wait another week or two and have them end up germinating at about the same time? less risk of them rotting in the ground or being eaten by creatures as there is more food available as the season gets on too. of course it is always nice to justify my procrastination, but i did have a good pea crop last year.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sowed two rows each of 4 different types of onions last week and today decided to plant out my shallots even though its a bit early for that here.
I ran my hand through the open box I kept them in, only to feel something damp. They were all in the early stages of sprouting so, out with my scissors, cutting off the dried leaves and splitting the bulbs up.

The bed they got planted out in is 1 meter wide=39 inches(I think).
Each row has 6 bulbs and the rows got spaced out at 18cm (7 inches?) 14 rows later, I decided that the rest of them were just too small to worry about.

I also resowed one row of Tokyo spring onions when it became obvious that they hadnt sprouted. The seed was a few years old but not so old that they should have trouble sprouting, so I cleared the space and gave them another go.
I really like this one, so I hope it was just that I had sown to shallow or too deep....

I really like this type and hope it does come up. If so, I want to get it to set seeds, cos I am now out of it.

Apart from that...thinning out the weeds from my baby seedlings