What Did You Do In The Garden?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pretty jelly!!
Dodged the roses. I have 30 red knockouts to go. So it rained today. 2.25 inches by 7am and its coming like that until midnight. I decided to make pickled eggs. I have learned I cannot boil eggs. I decided to steam them as some recipe queen on the internet said it was pretty foolproof and my eggs would not look like they got hit by shrapnel. Meh they taste the same but its a pride thing right? Did you know you can explode steamed eggs? More like an implosion really. When I went to set the covered steamer basket into cold water it sucked it right out of my hands and went "Whoomp!". Very few survivors.

Update. 1.25 more inches by 11:30am. Total now 3.5". Slow leak showed up at the bottom of the chimney. Just paid for a new metal roof. No way its that right? Anyway, having some blue marker dye for spray I think go use it out on the ground and maybe it will show the source. Sure enough it worked. Downside is pets with blue feet. We have not had one lap the water yet but I told B that would be bluetooth for pets. Smurf kitty? Blue dog? Anyway it started rainig hard again as I type it will wash away. The eggs are creole btw. A lot more work than I thought they would be.
15873142581387655697546029985454.jpg

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted lettuce, radishes, Swiss chard, turnips, arugula, beets, spinach/mustard in my box. I only put netting over to keep the cat out, but I might go ahead and cover with plastic. I weeded the asparagus area and there are a lot of strawberries in there that spread. I had a memory on Facebook the other day and it was a picture of asparagus I had cut on April 11, 2016. There is not a sign of asparagus right now. The dirt is cold. The rhubarb is growing, dandelions sprouting all over, mint and some oregano with leaves. I have been putting bok choy, kale, collards and onions on the patio to harden. I just need to get the area in the garden ready. Today potting up tomato plants.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dodged the roses. I have 30 red knockouts to go. So it rained today. 2.25 inches by 7am and its coming like that until midnight. I decided to make pickled eggs. I have learned I cannot boil eggs. I decided to steam them as some recipe queen on the internet said it was pretty foolproof and my eggs would not look like they got hit by shrapnel. Meh they taste the same but its a pride thing right? Did you know you can explode steamed eggs? More like an implosion really. When I went to set the covered steamer basket into cold water it sucked it right out of my hands and went "Whoomp!". Very few survivors.

Update. 1.25 more inches by 11:30am. Total now 3.5". Slow leak showed up at the bottom of the chimney. Just paid for a new metal roof. No way its that right? Anyway, having some blue marker dye for spray I think go use it out on the ground and maybe it will show the source. Sure enough it worked. Downside is pets with blue feet. We have not had one lap the water yet but I told B that would be bluetooth for pets. Smurf kitty? Blue dog? Anyway it started rainig hard again as I type it will wash away. The eggs are creole btw. A lot more work than I thought they would be.View attachment 35231

i'm still drooling looking at them. could use a snack before bed. a bad habit which i am going to avoid again this evening. still, i want at least two or three of those eggs, right neow! :)

glad you were able to find the leak right away. it took us almost 8.5 years to get our roof sorted out at last. amazing what happens when you find someone who actually listens to ya...

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wound up planting out the Shallots, they were starting to sprout These went in the 1 meter wide bed, 6 per row and 14 rows long. I kept the small ones to eat.

Dead heading flowers, trimming over grown things back, sweeping up leaves and scattering them back under trees or over whatever bed is handy or needs it.

Taking pics of new insects I see and getting them ID'd. So far it seems I now have two different types of Parasitic wasps and a fungal eating ladybird. So now i have two things to study up on to make sure they have a good habitat and food source.
Its been raining off and on all week and I need to mow my little lawn...but its too wet. I might have to use the weedeater to top it.

Had to use frost cloth over the Onion bed and the bird mesh over the 5' wide bed cos the birds have decided its tie to check them out.

Walking round in circles in my PJ's, raincoat and gum boots

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i'm still drooling looking at them. could use a snack before bed. a bad habit which i am going to avoid again this evening. still, i want at least two or three of those eggs, right neow! :)

glad you were able to find the leak right away. it took us almost 8.5 years to get our roof sorted out at last. amazing what happens when you find someone who actually listens to ya...
They are "That Good".

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well then, share the recipe.
Well the hard part is peeling eggs. I used 2 cups of white vinegar, 2 water, 1\3 cup sugar, 4 tsp salt, roasted garlic, onion, 4 tbsp Tonys Creole spices. Simmer it all together, cool it, pour it on the eggs. Let them sit to cool on the counter. Keep them in the fridge.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Dirtmechanic , congratulations on your new roof!!
I love mine on my barn, although my roofer argued with me about getting it, citing humidity.
The REALLY NICE thing about a metal roof is that it will probably outlive you.
They come in lovely colors, too. Mine is Royal Blue, set off against white siding.
Poor DD's are gonna need to get a new roof.
The roofer is fixing the flashing around the 2 chimneys, but the job is $30K, bc 75 years ago somebody used asbestos.
DH, ALWAYS a financial problem solving genius, told them that they can borrow against their life insurance policies (that we opened when they were tiny), to pay for it.
I never knew that you could do that.
Still, the roofer said by fixing the gutters, too, which are pulling down, it will buy them maybe 3 years.
The plan is to start saving up my 1/3 of it before starting the job.
The roofing business is located one block south of them, pretty convenient, and they have an excellent local reputation.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted some cilantro, nasturtium, and calendula seeds. Basically filling in any empty spaces. Think I'm done with that now.

Also scored in front of my raspberry plants to contain them. Transplanted a tiny one to give away.

Moved two big pots closer in and moved my two chairs further out. Looks so much better and cohesive.

Pulled 4 sunflower plants that for the second time bloom but only grow about 2 ft tall. Not worth it to me.

Mary

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
All the peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant are up - that are coming up. The newest seed was 3 years old, and most were 5 years or older, so I over-sowed 4-1. All of the extras were thinned down to one per cell. Sadly, one pepper variety (Suptol) has expired. :( Only one survivor for Beaver Dam, but I can obtain replacement seed from SSE, and have a backup variety for salsa this year. Most of the older seed was slow to emerge, but still had a fairly good germination rate. I'll give more details on seed age vs. germination on another thread.

20200423_125803.jpg
2020 pepper starts

Planted Moringa seeds today, 36 cells. They need really warm soil to germinate well, so will start those in the temperature-controlled mini-greenhouse until they germinate.

Latest posts