What Did You Do In The Garden?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How about a virtual tour. It's hard for me to get good photos but I'll show what I can.

First shot is an overview of my 8 raised beds. Between the beds is cardboard covered with "pine straw", just long pie needles. I need to work on that more.
View attachment 35462

Next up is the corn. It's getting closer to ready, probably the first of next week. I plant it in groups about two weeks apart so we can be eating corn a good part of summer.
View attachment 35461

Then my Bluejay bush green beans. It's the only thing we've been eating fresh since my winter greens quit. We're typically eating green beans five nights a week right now. Good as they are we're ready for a little variety.
View attachment 35463

Then my Purple Hull black eyed peas. If you look closely you can see some yellow blooms. These will probably start next week too. And once they start they don't stop for a long time.
View attachment 35465

Then a shot of some pole beans I'm growing for the bean network. I can't get a good shot to show it but my pole and bush beans for the network are pretty much covered with pods. As long as it doesn't blow up in my face I anticipate really high productivity.
View attachment 35464
Lovely! Do you get bean beetle damage?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Covered peppers and tomatoes with straw and tarps to protect them from below 30 degree weather. Haven’t uncovered yet to see damage.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted 27 jack pines. Mulched (horse crap) and then watered those and the 14 other trees I planted over the weekend. It was a full day

20200510_152528.jpg

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep pulling bindweed..every time I walk the dog we stop between the new flowerbed and the veg garden so i can pull every bit I can find. I heaped straw over my tomatoes a few days ago because we had a freeze warning, need to double check for damage today now that it's been 24 hours. Also need to pick all the pots I used to protect tender seedlings up before the lawn gets mowed today.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday, walked outside, peaked at the pea sprouts, showed a few flowers and the strawberry patch. rapidly walked back inside as it was starting to snow/rain again. not much rain or snow but it was windy and raw.

today. pass. cloudy cold and windy today with chances of snow and rain again too - tonight forecast is for 28F.

after this it is supposed to warm up again and no frost in the extended forecast according to my brother. i'm not sure i believe him, but at least the main strawberry patch has not yet begun to bloom so all may work out anyways...

pea sprouts look still alive, i should give them a shot of water today, but i'm really hoping for some actual rain instead of well water rain.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should get some water out to the broccoli and cabbage transplants. All this wind is not encouraging. I could hide indoors expecting the rain forecast for tomorrow. Meanwhile, those plants have already been through a frost and a week of dry conditions and wind, so they are suffering.

@Prairie Rose , that's what I do. I really try to never walk by bindweed without pulling it. The seedlings are easy this time of year. Buuuttt ... you know what they will be like in a few weeks 😬.

@SprigOfTheLivingDead , we call Lodgepole Pine, "Jack Pine." Is that what you planted?

Steve

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' last year I got control over the bindweed in the vegetable beds by cutting my planting density in half and mulching with black plastic...there's still bindweed there, but significantly less than last year. This year I'm going to try to crowd them out. Closely planted veg with lots of alyssum as undercover. The new flowerbed is going to get the bulk of my attention this year, it is where the vegetable beds were two years ago.

Picked up my pots, and a couple of my tomatoes are starting to bloom! Do need to make up a fungicidal spray for my new rose...it's disease resistant, but it's had a lot of rainwater splashed on it and is getting black spots. My potatoes are sprouting too.

Latest posts