What Did You Do In The Garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should get some water out to the broccoli and cabbage transplants. All this wind is not encouraging. I could hide indoors expecting the rain forecast for tomorrow.

Yesterday my 10-day forecast called for rain Wednesday. This morning Wednesday is predicted to be dry. The rainfall total for Thursday and Friday dropped too. Interesting trend.

This past weekend I watched the 10:00 forecast Saturday night. They said we'd get rain Sunday morning. Sunday morning on radar I saw some really pretty yellow and oranges south of me, but I did not see any rain.

Steve, you may have more faith in your weather forecast there than I do here, but I water when the plants need it, regardless of forecast. Of course there are some exceptions, when it's a slam dunk. But down here those typically come with flood warnings for low lying areas.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I keep pulling bindweed..every time I walk the dog we stop between the new flowerbed and the veg garden so i can pull every bit I can find. I heaped straw over my tomatoes a few days ago because we had a freeze warning, need to double check for damage today now that it's been 24 hours. Also need to pick all the pots I used to protect tender seedlings up before the lawn gets mowed today.
When you can, dig bindweed out, separate it from the dirt and throw it in the trash.
Hope you had no tomato damage or loss. :hugs

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted some of my starts. I have a proud hillbilly type of garden in pots behind a home made fence. Had to move the Romaine which are in plastic easter tubs into the shade cus it was in the 90's here this weekend. Russ' beans are all sprouting so they will be planted in about two weeks or so.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you may have more faith in your weather forecast there than I do here
I do. You are too close to a massive body of flat ocean water and even with flat ground betwixt. Here, it's push and pull - push from the Pacific, pull from the center of the continent. Either way, there are massive mountains to cross and the WS seems very good at assessing the push and pull, at least for a day or several.

I don't pay much attention to the commercial services altho they probably do fine ... using our taxpayer funded equipment.

I got the water on the plants. Then, came home. Now, may have days and days of sprinkles.

Steve
fair weather gardener

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I should get some water out to the broccoli and cabbage transplants. All this wind is not encouraging. I could hide indoors expecting the rain forecast for tomorrow. Meanwhile, those plants have already been through a frost and a week of dry conditions and wind, so they are suffering.

@Prairie Rose , that's what I do. I really try to never walk by bindweed without pulling it. The seedlings are easy this time of year. Buuuttt ... you know what they will be like in a few weeks 😬.

@SprigOfTheLivingDead , we call Lodgepole Pine, "Jack Pine." Is that what you planted?

Steve
I think lodgepole is the variety that's native to the western coast and jackpine is more east.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
not much rain hitting the ground here either when forecast. i only water when i have things sprouting as much as possible i want those plants to have deeper roots. so the peas have been all i have watered so far. when it gets to be closer to planting i'll give the gardens a spray to keep the dust down.

will water the strawberry patch later today, it is probably wet enough there but we have one more cold night and then warmer weather and i don't want to forget.

rain in the forecast doesn't mean anything to me until i see it hit the ground. storms split or fade to go around us with the river valley giving the clouds alternatives. always has been that way here.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
FINALLY, I took out the placeholder rose, the one that has been transplanted 3x, had died down to rootstock without any flowering in 5 years, and replaced it.
Against my better judgement, I bought a hybred tea, "Mister Lincoln," a bright red and fragrant rose.
I bought this last month, left it in the garage for 2 weeks, pulled it out and sat it in it's packaging for 2 weeks against the north side of the garage. It has been sending out healthy shoots, and wants to live. So, it is now south of the garage driveway, east of (to the right of) my yellow knockout.
I am thinking a peach mini rose on the Other side.
I didn't get all of the roots of the other rose, so I will burn it before it dries out and pricks my fingers...probably out of spite.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday we started getting a few pathways removed that were taking much more time to weed and care for than it was worth having. they took up valuable space inside the fenced gardens. once we get this project done we'll have room for another four or six tomato plants or more beans or ...

the gravel was so full of dirt and weeds that it takes some time to get the weeds out as i'm rinsing all the dirt away. i have a big box with some hardware cloth/mesh so i can rinse the dirt off and keep most of the gravel to be reused. when i'm done rinsing i usually have a fine bed of smaller gravel under the big box that can also be scraped up and used someplace else, but it needs to be rinsed off a second time. some of it can be left in the garden where it will supply a source of lime for a bit higher pH. normally i don't want gravel or stones in a garden, but that little bit is ok. if it bothers me i can screen it out, but then i'd need to get another chunk of mesh to put in the box to do that... not a priority right now that is for sure! :)

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Took a moment to smell the roses
IMG_20200514_131129.jpg

Latest posts