What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman I’m tired just from reading what you accomplished.

Today I get to play in the wet sand box planting the new plants I bought to replace those that may or may not be damaged from frost.

I’m allowing them to live. My question, how will production be hurt on the tomatoes and peppers from the plants that the tops were frozen and killed? At ground level and 1” above are new leaves starting off of a green stem.

tomatoes, not much as they get growing quickly once it gets warm and sunny enough. takes them a few weeks to get their roots settled and able to support more top growth anyways.

peppers i don't know as much about. i think my one experience with a frost which knocked back the plants so that they had to regrow showed some loss of productivity, but also replanting new plants at that time (if they were even available) likely would have given the same results.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
, how will production be hurt on the tomatoes and peppers from the plants that the tops were frozen and killed? .

I don't know Seed. I've seen some tomatoes get nipped a little that seemed to stunt them and reduced production. But I've seen others produce like gangbusters. I did not pay attention but I wonder if determinate versus indeterminate had anything to do with it. I quit growing determinates a few years back but I used to grow some. Can't recall any experiences with that and peppers.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
uh, we went for 20 tomato plants.

we have 38 tomato plants.

i figured the extra we can plant in the gardens outside the fence but they may get grazed by deer and other creatures.

the greenhouse was pretty busy but had everything we went for. *whew*

no experience with the several beefsteak varieties we got but that is why i got more than one type. i wish they'd stuck with what worked for us before... i know what to expect with those. last year was a new variety which did ok, but the others did better. this year, who knows. i guess we'll find out.

plus we have one odd free tomato plant to try out some place.

now i'd like to take a nap, but things to do outside now so... replant a few peas and then get back to rinsing out some gravel. maybe today will be it for that project and i can get back to what i should be working on. haha... that's about how it goes though. :) all ok... :) better to be busy and getting things done while the weather cooperates.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Currently planting some bananas :)

OI000011.JPG
OI000006.JPG

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I pulled my bush green beans. They'd pretty much stopped producing. I let four plants go to seed right from the start, those are still there. As soon as I can (supposed to rain again tomorrow) I'll plant some more green beans in that bed.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know Seed. I've seen some tomatoes get nipped a little that seemed to stunt them and reduced production. But I've seen others produce like gangbusters. I did not pay attention but I wonder if determinate versus indeterminate had anything to do with it. I quit growing determinates a few years back but I used to grow some. Can't recall any experiences with that and peppers.
All I plant are indeterminate. I want flexibility of when to can. I left them but planted more to replace them. I may have produce running out of my ears but I’m good with that as I can donate it to many older people.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I pulled my bush green beans. They'd pretty much stopped producing. I let four plants go to seed right from the start, those are still there. As soon as I can (supposed to rain again tomorrow) I'll plant some more green beans in that bed.
Do you plant them thick like your corn?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman I’m tired just from reading what you accomplished.

Today I get to play in the wet sand box planting the new plants I bought to replace those that may or may not be damaged from frost.

I’m allowing them to live. My question, how will production be hurt on the tomatoes and peppers from the plants that the tops were frozen and killed? At ground level and 1” above are new leaves starting off of a green stem.
Hard to answer without seeing them. Before I put up a good fence, I've had both tomatoes & peppers get nipped off by rabbits or deer. Provided there was enough stem left above the cotyledons, new branches formed. From that point, it was a mixed bag; some were stunted, while others continued to branch & became vigorous. In the latter case, the plants (peppers) bore heavily, but very late. Not sure if plants nipped by frost will react the same way, since there may be deeper shock than from "animal assisted pruning".

For the tomatoes, once a branch or two has formed, bury the stem(s) for extra roots... that might add enough vigor for the plants to make up some lost time.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
😳

And, your plans for those are ..?

Steve
👏
To see what happens.

I've been messing with bananas for 3 or 4 winters and the fact that I've been able to overwinter and see them be a thing in the summer is awesome.

The tall green ones are musa Manzanos. I really would love to see a flag leaf and flower from them this summer as I think this is my last season with them. My wife hates them in the house in the spring (I honestly think it hurt our marriage in the past few months); and I'd rather be married than say I have musas in Minnesota.

Latest posts