What Did You Do In The Garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wash dirty jars and rings and toss any lids* and rusty rings in the trash. I do not store the jars in garbage bags or anything like that, just store them where they are dry and about all that will settle on them is dust. When I'm ready to use them I run them through the dishwasher to get the dust off. When I wash them I pay special attention to the ring threads and then shoulder of the jar on the inside. That inside shoulder seems to collect stuff.

*I save a very few lid that are in good shape. I use these to close jars where I store dried stuff, like dehydrated herbs or veggies. Or maybe dried beans.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
When canning, I remove & wash the rings (and the jar tops) once the jars have cooled. The ring can otherwise trap water & debris, rusting not only the ring, but the lid. Once cleaned, the rings don't rust, and get used over & over... so all I need to buy each year are lids. When giving away a jar though, I do put the ring back on.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really gave it a good bash at clearing nasty brambles, my gardener chopped down a lot of a hedging tree that keeps trying to invade my garden. Finely we cleared even more brambles and weed out of my make shift green house. Now need material on one side to secure it.

Doing my level best to build up an area for this raised garden I've wanted for years. Replanted some pansies into pots I've been given for sharing my girls eggs and feel so much happier with my garden to night.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doing my level best to build up an area for this raised garden
I'm sure that you are on the level about that, Marie :). (Okay, I'm a font of American cliches!)

I think that you may have a sloping yard as I do. It used to concern me that the garden soil seems to be slipping into the neighbor's property. But now, I garden on both sides of the fence ;).

On another note: There's a problem even for olde people with having so many things delivered these days. Both yesterday and today, I'd planned to be in the garden during morning hours. Both days, we have needed to wait for deliveries - both arranged by the "kids."

(Hey there's something different US/UK :): I put the quotation mark to the right of the period. I believe that Marie would put it on the left. Where is that @marshallsmyth ? He would likely have fun with some of these things.)

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm sure that you are on the level about that, Marie :). (Okay, I'm a font of American cliches!)

I think that you may have a sloping yard as I do. It used to concern me that the garden soil seems to be slipping into the neighbor's property. But now, I garden on both sides of the fence ;).

On another note: There's a problem even for olde people with having so many things delivered these days. Both yesterday and today, I'd planned to be in the garden during morning hours. Both days, we have needed to wait for deliveries - both arranged by the "kids."

(Hey there's something different US/UK :): I put the quotation mark to the right of the period. I believe that Marie would put it on the left. Where is that @marshallsmyth ? He would likely have fun with some of these things.)

Steve
Oh my dear Steve, my old head is way too tired to take in any of this right now. I've been awake all night worrying about you guy's over there, then as busy as a bee all day to take my mind off it all, plus there is so much to be done here.
Fear not, my brain will hopefully be replenished in the morning and I can work out this mysterious post of yours. :he

This phone is a nightmare to write on so please forgive my mistakes. :) night.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Didn't sleep that much, my head is with you all over there, it's such crap I am unable to be at your side helping you all out.

Have a pile of branches to clear away that got dropped into my nieghbors pathway. Thank goodness he is my nieghbor anyone else would have made complaints.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I save a very few lids that are in good shape. I use these to close jars where I store dried stuff, like dehydrated herbs or veggies. Or maybe dried beans.
You are right about the shortage--
I write "used" with a Sharpie on lids like that. Usually I use them for something that I plan on eating in the next few days and store in the fridge.
I prefer to use a solid metal lid. I was surprised that the clearanced solid metal screw lids that I bought 3 years ago are hard to come by.
I bought them for $3.50/set of 4, but NOW they are $5/each!! Yikes!!! :barnie
I bought them for the canning jars that are purposed for storing coffee beans, since I buy the large packages. My 1st two jars were dark glass Ovaltine jars, now ONLY in plastic, and I have always liked the solid, metal lids.
WM Does carry solid plastic lids, which DD's use to bring lunches in quart jars to work.
Also, these:
Just SAW these:
Didn't know anybody made such a thing!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I should mention that if you don't have any boxes to store your clean jars in, hit up a liquor store, like Binny's. They givec away boxes that wine bottles, etc. came in. You can cut the dividers in half, add a cut piece of cardboard to separate and store up to 12 quarts in a new, cardboard box.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sadly, the water company that services all the towns around here put us on mandatory conservation. Only water to be used is inside the house. All else must be turned off and saved for the fire fighters. Today the air is rated "hazardous" classification, which isn't good for the garden either. There is ash and dark fragments of wood all over everything.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
More bramble and ivy this time for my nieghbor because I left some branches in his path, which I can't even begin to break yet.