What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
worked on pathway edging until i got tired, came in, took a nap, went back out and finished that part and then picked some beans.

if tomorrow goes well i hope i can finish the back part and get it mostly squared away... we'll see... :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
With a long period of rain expected again, DW & I went through the gardens, looking for dry or near-dry seed. There wasn't much, the low temperatures have slowed pod maturity on all legumes. I'm concerned about the Giant Red Tarka beans & Ohozyu soybeans though, since all of their pods are turning yellow. I raised the pods of Giant Red Tarka off the ground & onto the straw as much as possible; if they make it through the next 24 hours, they will probably all get dry.

Then I checked the corn in the rural garden, thinking a few more ears might be ready. It was ALL ready! Both blocks! :th Fortunately DW had a lot of large shopping bags in the car, we filled up 6 of them, plus a bucket... I'm guessing about 200 pounds of corn. We finished just in time, the rain started on the way home. So with rain expected most of Saturday, at least there will be plenty of time to process it; DD has offered to help with the shucking & cutting. After setting some aside for family & friends, the best ears will be frozen whole, the rest will be steamed & frozen as cut corn. On a shopping trip years ago, we found a HUGE double-decker steamer in an Oriental market, it will cook 50 ears or more at a time... this is the main reason we bought it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Going out soon to garden! My horse trainer friend skipped out today bc she overdid her outdoor chores yesterday. Not a problem, since we expect heavy rain by mid afternoon.
I REALLY need advice about corn. Yes, I have been getting something of an edible harvest, but I am SO disappointed with the seed. I saved dried out corn from last year, and I will try to wrestle the kernels loose and save for 2021.
If you recall, in 2019 I planted 2018 seeds and got a marvelous harvest. I had bought these pink coated seeds from a local FS, that no longer sells to the small backyard gardener, just mass quantities to farmers.
I need advice as to what to plant next year, and since you had a big harvest, I am starting with You, @Zeedman !

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is anyone here please. I'm transferring a blueberry Bush into my clay garden with compost. Any ideas what I can add to make more acidity I dont have sulfur. Is there anything I can use in my kitchen. Chicke poop and wee I was thinking

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
With a long period of rain expected again, DW & I went through the gardens, looking for dry or near-dry seed. There wasn't much, the low temperatures have slowed pod maturity on all legumes. I'm concerned about the Giant Red Tarka beans & Ohozyu soybeans though, since all of their pods are turning yellow. I raised the pods of Giant Red Tarka off the ground & onto the straw as much as possible; if they make it through the next 24 hours, they will probably all get dry.

Then I checked the corn in the rural garden, thinking a few more ears might be ready. It was ALL ready! Both blocks! :th Fortunately DW had a lot of large shopping bags in the car, we filled up 6 of them, plus a bucket... I'm guessing about 200 pounds of corn. We finished just in time, the rain started on the way home. So with rain expected most of Saturday, at least there will be plenty of time to process it; DD has offered to help with the shucking & cutting. After setting some aside for family & friends, the best ears will be frozen whole, the rest will be steamed & frozen as cut corn. On a shopping trip years ago, we found a HUGE double-decker steamer in an Oriental market, it will cook 50 ears or more at a time... this is the main reason we bought it.

if the pods are turning yellow you can pick them and finish drying them inside. i do a lot of this kind of harvesting here. just have to keep an eye on the trays. i stir or turn things once in a while to make sure there is no fungus starting up. every week or so i'll pick out the dried pods and combine the ones still green so i can get some space back in my room here. have to keep room for incoming beans...

also once the beans are fully formed they can often be shelled out and dried apart from the pods. sometimes you may get more blemishes on the seeds for certain bean varieties but it doesn't affect anything else that i've ever been able to tell. i put these out to dry further on box tops and stir these too once in a while to keep them drying and to avoid fungi.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Is anyone here please. I'm transferring a blueberry Bush into my clay garden with compost. Any ideas what I can add to make more acidity I dont have sulfur. Is there anything I can use in my kitchen. Chicke poop and wee I was thinking
Chicken manure will definitely help, but don't put it on fresh. REALLY mix it in well so you don't burn out your bush. Few plants can take manure straight, and horse manure isn't as harsh as chicken manure. If you can get horse manure, I would use that. You don't need very much.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As you will know I planted my old blueberry plant, I rescued this from a property I had to leave, in a state of panic on settling into my present home I place it under a tree that was not helping it. So now it has a spot near my old bench .
Pulled out more brambles and ivy.
My hens , it was time for the girls too have their spa day so into the baby bath they went. Now waiting for my bread to rise again when i put that into the oven, it's back to my fluffy bots to get them oiled before throwing on their baby talcum powder, being the benonite clay.

It's been all go on my mini small holding and I love it. :love

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

pile the compost as high as possible, also bark chunks, leaves, anything organic and rotted will help.

clay might be somewhat acidic.

what i would so is mix what you have as best you can just to get the plant above grade so it will drain ok. after next season you can lift it up and add more organic material and more acidifiers like sulphur (but mix that with the soil/compost you are adding and let it perk for a while before setting a plant with it).

in FL which has notoriously horrible pH for blueberries they grow the plants on/in piles of bark chips and pine straw. pretty much any organic material is going to be an improvement over subsoil that has a higher pH.

Latest posts