What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cleaned up flower beds.

Emptied pots - soil into the backyard garden. I'll give the worms a little time to migrate downward. Then, break everything up and try to level for the winter.

There's still snow in the yard but removing most of the damaged foliage sure makes things look better. Happy to see that the peach tree finally dropped the remaining leaves. It collected so much snow during last week's snow storm that I was out to shake it off each branch. Did the best that I could for it and no branches broke.

Steve

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This week, after checking all the shops here and the next town over for sweet corn seedlings....I drove 40 minutes to Bunnings in Rotorua. Yay! 3 1/2 dozen seedlings.
So now these have been planted out. I didnt bother with the sad things I still had cos they were less than half the size. They got binned.

This week is supposed to be a root sowing week, so thats what I did- sowed beetroot-detroit and bulls blood, Parsnips-guernsey, more Tokyo long spring onions, Purplette and Sweet white Spanish onions as well as a 6 pack of Kohl rabi and Jicama. Thats a new one for me so I'm looking forward to seeing how its doing.

I pulled 4 of the San Marzano tomatoes out cos they just looked sad, so when its time to plant fruit/above ground stuff, I'll replace them with the ones I held back for just in case.

My son and DIL visited today, so they got given a dozen or so carrots, a bag of Tangelo oranges, the two Jasmine plants I bought last week....only to discover that these were not the type I thought they were- bees dont seem to like them. They are the same sort that I have already planted and I didnt want any more of that, so I am going to have to wait til winter when my fav online nursery puts their plants up for sale to get the right one.
They also wanted rooted cuttings of the Choc mint, Oregano and Pineapple sage.

Did the line trimming around all the edges of the lawns both front and back and whipped it over the rock walls to knock back the Japanese wind anenomes and weeds. Now if it will stop raining for more than a day, I will be able to mow the lawns.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled 4 of the San Marzano tomatoes out cos they just looked sad, so when its time to plant fruit/above ground stuff, I'll replace them with the ones I held back for just in case.

IMO tomatoes usually take some time to really get going so if they look scraggly at first i just leave them alone (short of actual frost/freezing damage where they may not recover).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Trish Stretton , it's interesting that you have some things that I have grown. I guess that the Detroit name is on-loan from the French but it's a common beet in US gardens. I have chocolate mint, also several others. Nice fragrance and I especially like the apple mint when I hit it with the trimmer or lawn mower. Okay, I sometimes have a cup of spearmint tea ;).

I cleaned up the little vegetable garden over 2 days of nice weather and before the predicted rain. DW said, "Is there more that we should do?" I pointed out that there is always more that we could do ... this isn't the garden where the tractor guy shows up and "does it" for us.

Anyway. The big doors are back on the shed. That doesn't close off "Narnia" on the other side of the back fence. Pretty silly. Little shed with 4 doors but the big doors come off through the growing season.

Steve

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Trish Stretton , it's interesting that you have some things that I have grown. I guess that the Detroit name is on-loan from the French but it's a common beet in US gardens. I have chocolate mint, also several others. Nice fragrance and I especially like the apple mint when I hit it with the trimmer or lawn mower. Okay, I sometimes have a cup of spearmint tea ;).

I cleaned up the little vegetable garden over 2 days of nice weather and before the predicted rain. DW said, "Is there more that we should do?" I pointed out that there is always more that we could do ... this isn't the garden where the tractor guy shows up and "does it" for us.

Anyway. The big doors are back on the shed. That doesn't close off "Narnia" on the other side of the back fence. Pretty silly. Little shed with 4 doors but the big doors come off through the growing season.

Steve
Apple mint...
years ago, Somebody gave my mum some Apple mint for me, so of course I had to plant it...'It has such a lovely flavor and isnt invasive like other mints'....grrrr
It tasted bloody horrible, didnt go with any of my recipes and was invasive as all hell, took ages to get rid of it.
Now my mints are in old concrete laundry tubs so they can be properly pampered and confined to quarters.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh yeah, mints can be a pain. even years after removing the mints from the fenced gardens i can still find patches of them in what is left of the lawn and also hiding along edges of the ditches and in other locations.

at times i've buried chunks of it in gardens and sometimes it will survive and start back up again. persistence will eventually win out but you do have to get it before it drops more seeds.

the thing is, the bees just love all of it. any chance it has to bloom they're on it.

as for funny, i have what looks like a small pine tree growing in the grassy area to the south that we keep mowing. it's been there for years getting repeatedly mowed off the top, about 5 inches tall (most of the time :) ). everytime i go over it i think i should move it but i have no more room for trees here. even potting it up and treating it like a bonsai would be interesting but i just haven't that inclination any more.

Latest posts