What Did You Do In The Garden?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I stopped using my chipper shredder in favor of charcoals for twigs. I mulch and compost the leaves mostly, unless its a hopeless tangle, then fire.
IMG_20201114_173916_01_resize_34.jpg

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My baby lavender is doing pretty well she is grown from a cutting from the mother plant.

Sadly or not I'm getting these mushrooms looking fungal growths. I ripped a few out and here is the one remaining, are these edible if they are I will be happy about it.
View attachment 37415View attachment 37416
Dont be too hasty in throwing them out, according to Paul Stamets and Michael Phillips, fungii have a vital role to play in the health of our soil.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My baby lavender is doing pretty well she is grown from a cutting from the mother plant.

Sadly or not I'm getting these mushrooms looking fungal growths. I ripped a few out and here is the one remaining, are these edible if they are I will be happy about it.
View attachment 37415View attachment 37416

let them do their thing, they won't hurt anything (perennials often have fungi in the soil around them), but i would not eat them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Transplanted my two holly's which have doubled in the pot since June.
Cut up 5 long pine limbs into 18 inch pieces suitable for fire pit burning.
Dug holes for tomatoes, hot peppers, and sweet peppers, seeds and pieces left over after processing, tomatoes into jars, peppers dehydrated.
Hope to see volunteers next year.
NEXT weekend my new hens get all of the tomato leftovers!

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had a nice chat with my elderly neighbor the other day. She is happy with the progress we both have made in our front yards but did mention that my Mulberry tree is once again hanging over her greenhouse and could I do something about it?
....so today after I inspected the bee hives, I hauled out my ladder and climbed up onto the soon to be again chicken house to deal with this dratted triffid.
2 1/2 hours later, I'm knackered and called it a day.

I thought I had done so much til I stood back and looked, big sigh.
I had decided that the whole thing needs to come out so I started at the easy end.
If I ever get to meet up with the person who told me that I need to coppice this tree for it to do well, I will slap them!

On the up side....groaning but trying to see the light.
I have plenty of mulch for the vegie garden and it looks like there might even be a years worth of firewood once I cut the whole thing down.

A couple of hours later, it started to rain again...woohoo!! Hopefully it rains all day tomorrow as well so I can have a sleep in and a well deserved rest!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
let them do their thing, they won't hurt anything (perennials often have fungi in the soil around them), but i would not eat them.
That's good as long as they are not hurting the plant. Lavender a rosemary is great for keeping pest's at bay in my chicken coup and bonus it's keeping bugs away from my pantry, which are coming down from the ceiling and floor above.:duc Honesty this home is a nightmare but I love it.

Latest posts