In my greenhouse I planted chickweed, miners lettuce, sheep sorel, and stonecrop. I am in the process of planning out my outdoor garden next year and I think I will include garden markers like these!
Heeeuuuwww... I'm exhausted just reading that. A good day in the garden is both tiring, and fulfilling.Over the last few days I got so much done.
After work on Sunday, I plucked my baby tea hedge and got almost half a big bowl of leaves. Normally, I take them inside and dry toast them in my wok, but after reading that this is done to sterilize the leaves, I just popped the bowl on the hood of my work truck and every now and then, rolled the leaves in my hands. By the end of the day they had all dried down to a very small jar- I should have taken a before and after pic. Its quite shocking how small the end result is...but I still think its worth it, nice fresh organic green tea.
Monday was quite busy, I started the day fixing up the next shelf in the porch, I was going to call it the top shelf but yesterday I decided there was room for one more.
Anyway, the brackets I had used were too unstable. I finally found ones that were better and changed them out and the decided that I should put the last one up as well, so now there are three shelves for my seedlings and cuttings.
By the time I had done all that, it was time to go around all the lawn edges with the line trimmer aka weed eater, as well as the faces of the rock walls and then mow the lawns.
The clippings from the back lawn were used to sprinkle around my newly planted out things. In the front, I scraped off the old clipping from the little path between me and Julia and used that to mulch one of the beds alongside of the house. The fresh lawn clippings were just enough to cover our little path. I always tread them down and if they are a little dry, water it so that they will cook any weeds that think to grow here.
It wasnt a root planting day, but I had 2 6 packs of kim chi/korean radishes that really did need to go in the ground, so that got done.
The tea hedge was looking alittle leggy, so that needed to be trimmed, mainly the sides.
Today, the dump was open, so I did a couple of runs. One was just getting rid of some aluminium framing that I had been given to use as a greenhouse but it just didnt work out so it was broken down and dumped. The second load was green waste- sometimes, you just have more than you can deal with and good riddance, especially when its full of weed seeds.
Before going home, I went shopping for some blood and bone that I needed to feed the new plants with. Also got some seaweed/fish fert cos i wasnt sure that my homemade stuff was okay...and happened to notice a couple of really good looking rock melon plants and a pot with two, not one gherkins so they had to come home with me as well.
Two of the San Marzano toms didnt look very good so they were pulled out and the rock melons have replqced them.
I have mesh trellis that just needs a bit of a trim which will then be put up for them to grow up.
I noticed that the cucumber that was not supposed to be a climber....was trying to climb, so I set up a trellis next to it and coaxed it over and up.
....and lastly, all the plants got a little feed of blood and bone powder, just in time cos it then started to rain, yet again.
This has got to be the wettest coolest spring for a long time.
I want to hear More about your peach volunteers! I have been heartily disappointed in my new peach tree. It's a LOVELY tree, highly suitable for a suburban yard, but I'm getting 1-13-NO peaches from it. I DID hear about stringing the old timey OUTDOOR Christmas lights to it, and plugging them in in the Spring when it gets blossoms to prevent a cold snap from freezing them off. I guess I will try getting the lights strung soon, and running an extension cord to them in April. Those old outdoor lights produce heat and could warm it up enough for fruit in 2021.@Zeedman , we have volunteers from peach pits in the compost. DW is particular about the fresh peaches she buys and so, she is delighted to see the seedlings.
One grew into a nice tree, produced a tremendous crop of white peaches (just as she liked), sickened from blight, and lost its ability to produce decent fruit. I cut it down, cut it up and hauled it away. Disappointed everyone, including the neighbor who could reach several pounds of fruit from her side of the fence. Well, there is another volunteer that produced it's first crop of about 10 peaches, last year. Yep, same tasty fruit!
who leveled a backyard bed , yesterday - where the ground wasn't frozen.
It was warm enough outside yesterday to fix the splitter - and it runs now. So I was able to split both the larger apple pieces, and some 2-year-old dry elm wood. That apple wood sure smells wonderful, makes me wish I had a smoker... but it packs a lot of heat as fire wood too.Yesterday I had hoped to split the trunk pieces of wood from the apple tree I took down. There were also some very large slabs left over from several trees the neighbor took down last year which he said I could have (all of the smaller pieces were taken). I had just used the splitter a couple weeks ago, to split a pile of wood for DD#1... but try as I might, it wouldn't start. It turns out that in the short time since helping DD#1, mice got under the engine cowling & chewed the spark plug wire.