What Did You Do In The Garden?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
You tell him. I tried to warn you about those southerners....

hum i smell jealousy, but i am use to it coming from a Yankee/Midwesterner/northwestern 3 months summer and 9 months winter....

living in gods country up north in December......
"honey we need more wood"
"you did get gas for the snowmobile"
"what do you mean you cant find the chains for the car"

living in gods county down south in December.....
"honey turn off the a/c"
"we need gas for the mower"
"let's go pick some veggies from the garden for dinner tonight"

lets research this :caf yup the south wins , we grow 365 days a year......

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got some more cucumber plants in. This is about as late as I've ever planted the summer squash and they will have to wait ..! The plants are just too tiny to set out! Cucumbers in July were something new a couple of years ago. Lack experience but I'm more comfortable about them than waiting any longer for the zucchini. I think I may have missed the boat on those.

Not too late for the bush beans! They have never failed to produce just fine from a 15 July sowing. A day early - I've pulled the peas and have a hundred square feet of beans in!

Hot out there! We are back to "normal for mid-July." On its way to 85°f this afternoon.

Steve

The above is from July 14th.

The zucchini caught up with the cucumbers! I mean, really caught up. The first of either was harvested this morning!

Admittedly, there were a couple of cukes that could have come home a few days ago. And, the zucchini plants are still really small.

It's a little late and they will likely have only a couple of weeks to produce. The timing is okay, however.

The spring planted zucchini are winding down, in a big way. Only one plant has serious mildew problems and yet, there seems to be only about one zucchini in my garden trying to end the season with a flourish. As quickly as mildew takes over, I would not be surprised if it's everywhere in a week or so.

It's lemon cucumber season! Oh, the American and Beit Alpha slicers are doing fine but today there were about 3x as many lemon cucumbers than on any day this year! They are always a bit late but didn't all wait until the last of the season.

I've grown lemon cukes long enough that them kicking in right now seems about right. Nothing makes me feel like the season is drawing to a close than returning to what had been an early broccoli bed and finding those zucchini. I'm reliving those June mornings, cutting broccoli buds when I do that.

Steve
still waiting for the July sown bush beans ... oh boy! maybe too much shade in that corner.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, do you always plant zucchini twice? I was tempted to do so when I saw some nice plants at the nursery a couple weeks a go. I chickened out since my plants are covered with mildew and I can feel more moisture in the air. I did decide to try pole beans twice this season. My second planting looks good and I see buds.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, do you always plant zucchini twice? I was tempted to do so when I saw some nice plants at the nursery a couple weeks a go. I chickened out since my plants are covered with mildew and I can feel more moisture in the air. I did decide to try pole beans twice this season. My second planting looks good and I see buds.

Mary
I always use consecutive planting. When the first plants are dieing back the second are producing. I do it differently though. I plant out seedlings and seeds at the same time . They are ready a month or so apart.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have for the last 10 or 12 years, Mary. It's usually zucchini but may be a crookneck.

The plants are just about the right size to replace broccoli and early cabbage in July. They can both be in the bed together for a week or two. Then the broccoli or cabbage is pulled.

I had two surprise problems in 2015. In one garden, I left several of the broccoli plants because they were blasted by record early summer heat. The plants needed another chance so they got it, all season long! They did great but I almost couldn't get near that bed, it was so crowded. The zuks didn't produce much.

In the other garden, the late zucchini went in near and somewhat in the shade of spruce trees. My sure-fire, mildew-free second planting failed! They had mildew so bad I harvested nothing!

Steve

Latest posts