What Did You Do In The Garden?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Harvested the second sweet potato. Same spuds in wheelbarrow for size reference
potato harvest 2016 Sweet spud.JPGFirst tuber-meal for 2
Potato sweet2.JPG Second tuber-meal for 4?

Any bigger and I just might need my back-hoe to dig them. Happy dance!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raided It!

The first hint of frost was September 9th. Sure nice to get to October 11th after those 3 hints on mid-September mornings!

Frost on top the pickup at 3:20am. There was little reason to try to mitigate the frost damage. It's supposed to be even colder, tomorrow. The week's forecast is for either frost or cold rain with pretty bad winds ... what can grow? Ski resorts getting snow. Anyway, I was out 3 times turning the sprinklers on and off in the backyard but that's only for the 3 beds there and I doubt if I saved the basil ;). Bok choy should be okay!

The raid involved a few green beans and peppers. A bucket full of green tomatoes came home. Some of the tomato plants had a real tough time of it over the last month but those still with healthy green foliage had many little green tomatoes!

The biggest haul was the onions ..! Osborne Seed's White Globe Onion, SV4058NU F1 ... must be the latest onion I've ever grown! We will see how it does in storage but none of the tops fell during August when the Walla Walla and Candy went down. Some are still standing but more than half were taken home and the rest covered with corn stalks for insulation. Guess I should have just pulled them a couple of weeks ago.

Steve :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled the bush beans and I am STILL getting a few pole beans. I hoed the bush bean spot and put rabbit manure and cow manure. I am getting ready to plant garlic. This is the first day I really worked hard since April before the chickenpox. I pulled old plants and weeds. I am going to put rabbit manure, cow manure, chopped leaves, and old straw and hay on the garden for the winter. None of the compost finished, so I am leaving that until next year. We just put stuff in the bins and never did layer and build the compost bins like we should have, so it will take a long time to breakdown.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rearranged my cattle panel tomato trellises into a hooped greenhouse of sorts...will apply plastic when colder weather hits. For now I used up all my romaine lettuce, spinach, and carrot seeds in it...I know it's too late for planting such as these and to hope for any large growth, but I needed to use up the seeds anyway, so thought, "Why not?". It's raining right now, as if on cue...that should help get them off to a good start.

Have tiny beets and turnips up right now that I and the grandgirl planted last week.

Picked and ate a few strawberries today...still producing berries here and there.

Raked a few little weeds starting up here and there in the chips...easy to shuffle them right on out of there. Saw a tater sprouting...must have missed one.

Had planted some asparagus seeds in one corner in the spring but nothing happened...until now... there are three little frondy seedlings coming up in that corner.

Might get some garlic to plant this next week...why not, huh? Got that garden just sitting out there, might as well put stuff in it. I'm thinking of changing up everything if I'm still here in the spring, planting things in different places and planting different things.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cut down sunflowers in the big veggie garden.

Took trellising out of the flower corners.

I'm getting a little anxious about November coming and dahlia roots and gladiola bulbs are still in the ground. Not that I'm much worried about them. However, bad weather may be upon us soon. That is, something other than this October's rain 4 or 5 days per week.

Working in the rain won't be any fun but the next step down is working in the snow ..! I've seen some dang cold early November weather but expect the WS to give us a few days notice. Still, I don't want to rush to get things outta the garden and into the basement.

Not many choices but to start digging tomorrow. It's supposed to be our last day this week without a chance of rain. Ground is wet and heavy. We are approaching record October rainfall!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the garlic bed ready to plant garlic tomorrow. I pulled more plants up and hauled out of the garden. I am hoping to get some leaves chopped up tomorrow before it rains, but I just looked at the weather map and it says rain starting in 60 minutes. DH used the small chainsaw on a plum tree that needed to be trimmed. I am starting to feel a sense of running out of time too.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
watered everyone once home.....boring i know
but dw did pick some spinach last night to go along with the ribeyes yum good stuff there....

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and DS worked on the rabbit hutch putting up some new roofing paper and shingles. I gave the rabbits new straw and hauled rabbit manure to the garden and added straw and hay to the compost bins. Lettuce, onions and tomatoes from garden on tacos. The green tomatoes are turning red fast and will be out of fresh tomatoes soon.