What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Trish Stretton , it's interesting that you are growing a University of New Hampshire melon. I discovered that their horticulturalists have been working with melon varieties for about 70 years.

Having melons is a big deal for this gardener and it may have been that Sweet Granite was where I finally had some success, in this melon-challenged location.

I began thinking that New Hampshire must have similar growing conditions. The state's geography goes from seacoast to high mountains in a short distance.

I probably should have had Sweet Granite in 2019 when the cantaloupe were a total failure for me. Again this past year, things weren't so good at that end of the melon patch. What came through both years was a different UofNH release, Passport. Passport is a Galia melon and I have had it in my garden for a number of years. It's been either that Galia or its sister, Diplomat.

If any other varieties come out of UofNH, on the early end of the scale, I'm very interested. It may be rewarding for you to do some web searches on their melons. The school has been a blessing for me!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Trish Stretton , it's interesting that you are growing a University of New Hampshire melon. I discovered that their horticulturalists have been working with melon varieties for about 70 years.

Having melons is a big deal for this gardener and it may have been that Sweet Granite was where I finally had some success, in this melon-challenged location.

I began thinking that New Hampshire must have similar growing conditions. The state's geography goes from seacoast to high mountains in a short distance.

I probably should have had Sweet Granite in 2019 when the cantaloupe were a total failure for me. Again this past year, things weren't so good at that end of the melon patch. What came through both years was a different UofNH release, Passport. Passport is a Galia melon and I have had it in my garden for a number of years. It's been either that Galia or its sister, Diplomat.

If any other varieties come out of UofNH, on the early end of the scale, I'm very interested. It may be rewarding for you to do some web searches on their melons. The school has been a blessing for me!

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The University of New Hampshire has been a blessing for many, especially during the tenure of Professor Elwyn M. Meader. His breeding efforts were wide ranging, especially in the development of short-season vegetables. And notably, he did not patent any of his developments, stating "I was working for the taxpayer and the results on my work belonged to them.". I still grow a short-season pepper, "Sweet Chocolate", developed by him.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Evelyn and I were looking at a Gurney's catalog today and I showed her Skyscraper sunflowers and told her how tall they get and asked her if we should plant some and she said yes, so the first thing I have planned for 2021 planting are Kong and Skyscraper sunflowers. I used to grow them before all the crazy things in my life happened.
Dec. 18 Evelynx.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandmother was my garden inspiration, @Gardening with Rabbits . She had gardens of flowers all around her house.

Down near a corral was her vegetable garden. Between the garden and the corral, and at considerable distance from the house, was an outhouse. A 3 and 4 year old at that time, I made use of it in my travels ;). It was completely surrounded by sunflowers.

The birdwatcher will want to pay conscientious attention to when the seeds are ripe or the birds will leave none for winter. Even if that is the sunflowers only purpose, the feathered neighbors will be happy to find them during the time when Old Man Winter is making life difficult for them.

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My grandmother was my garden inspiration, @Gardening with Rabbits . She had gardens of flowers all around her house.

Down near a corral was her vegetable garden. Between the garden and the corral, and at considerable distance from the house, was an outhouse. A 3 and 4 year old at that time, I made use of it in my travels ;). It was completely surrounded by sunflowers.

The birdwatcher will want to pay conscientious attention to when the seeds are ripe or the birds will leave none for winter. Even if that is the sunflowers only purpose, the feathered neighbors will be happy to find them during the time when Old Man Winter is making life difficult for them.

Steve
I cannot remember where I read about hollyhocks being planted by the outhouse. Tall and screening, pretty too, I imagine they had some practical but unknown to me values other than fecoration. I read that the ladies back in the day knew to look for the hollyhocks rather than be forced to ask after the location of the outhouse. True or not? I have no idea. It was before my time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cannot remember where I read about hollyhocks being planted by the outhouse. Tall and screening, pretty too, I imagine they had some practical but unknown to me values other than fecoration. I read that the ladies back in the day knew to look for the hollyhocks rather than be forced to ask after the location of the outhouse. True or not? I have no idea. It was before my time.

big leaves...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
She is the only one who admires my flowers. I have hollyhocks too and bee balm. She was all excited about the flowers in the seed catalog. In the winter there are no flowers to pick and she thinks the bee balm round, brown, seed pod things are flowers and when she gets in the car and you hand her a bee balm, she holds it like she is holding a beautiful flower. lol

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
She is the only one who admires my flowers. I have hollyhocks too and bee balm. She was all excited about the flowers in the seed catalog. In the winter there are no flowers to pick and she thinks the bee balm round, brown, seed pod things are flowers and when she gets in the car and you hand her a bee balm, she holds it like she is holding a beautiful flower. lol

aww! :) get some houseplants for her to take care of... :) not cactus.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
fecoration lol!
Not sure if that was a typo but its hilarious and goes well with the subject.

Latest posts