What Did You Do In The Garden?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted some day lily's that I had ordered, plus some Blue cat mint from the same place. Last week I planted snap peas in yogurt containers, but they haven't sprouted....Too chizzly out side.

found hyacinths spent plants at Lowes for $1. Big ones! So they will be planted next to the puny ones I planted two years ago. Will be looking good next spring! And smell good too!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
All of the snow has melted now except for a few small remnants in full shade. Most of the yard & garden is finally dry enough to walk in, so DW & I are outside doing a little yard work. The spring bulbs planted along the South side of the house have begun to emerge, with a few buds starting to show on the grape hyacinths, No sign yet of anything in the other perennial beds. There is a barrel of charcoal that was sifted out of the fire pit, I'll be spreading that over the home gardens today, along with some of the wood ashes from the wood burner.

I drove out to the rural garden yesterday for the first time this year, to check on the garlic, and to see how the soil brought in last year has affected the drainage. No sign of the garlic yet, which is not surprising, given that the bed was covered by snow until a week ago. The low end of the garden is still too soggy to walk in, but looks better than last year, and no sign of erosion.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had to completely empty out a big terracotta pot of everything due to some purple flowering oxalis taking over.
I did manage to find some bulbs that most definitely were not the pest and save them.
Some got planted elsewhere.

So, the pot got filled up with fresh potting mix, the lily went in the middle with some saffron bulbs from another bed got put around the edge and just in time cos they were starting to sprout.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today, once again, its hammering with rain. During a lull, I shot outside and planted out my Pukekohe Long keeper onions.
Just in case those dratted blackbirds decided to dig them up like they did with alot of the Italian long keepers, I put a piece of re-inforcing mesh over the bed with a few twigs to stop them.
Then it was back inside for more study on bugs.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Late report but basically of course the lawn cutting and strimmer and then 4 new hybrid teas planted in front of the evergreen trees for contrast, and 7 sky pencil hollies moved behind the red cascade roses so maybe one day they will cascade off the sky pencils. Planted or actually replanted a rising sun rosebud in better light. The whole seeding of vegetable starts with pppers (covid joke) and tomats in trays has started. Damn Rango laying on the seedlings in the trays because grow lights are warm.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
picked some gravel from an edge and did some weeding, decided there was too much gravel to pick so i'll get out the box and screens and hose some day when it gets a bit warmer and when chances of frost are past to finish that task. i need to pick up a chunk of finer mesh screen to recover gravel from another area so this is my reminder to put that on my list for the hardware store.

the hardware store in town has been on the decline for many years. hardly carries any stock items any longer. :( i may have to venture further...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night, I started germination testing for all soybeans over 5 years old (17 varieties) in an effort to identify which ones may need extra TLC this year. They are all in a temperature-controlled chamber, kept between 75-80 F. degrees. The weakest varieties will be started in pots, in an effort to revive them before all the seed is dead. That worked last year for a variety with 2009 seed, and the oldest varieties this year are 2012 seed... so I am hopeful they can all be saved.

It was chilly today but sunny, so I took a look at the perennial onion bed. All came through the winter in good condition. I'm particularly happy about the Pearlzwiebel (Pearl onion) which I almost lost several years ago along with my garlic. The few survivors were planted next to the house, and have now spread to form several large clumps. An heirloom relative from SSE ("Truepear 1") has formed a very large clump, and needs to be divided. Both varieties appear to be in the same species & I expect them to flower, so I hope to get crossed seed to experiment with. I should finally have enough of both of these rare leek relatives to share with other gardeners this year. I just need to mark all of their locations now... the grass-like foliage disappears shortly after it dies back, and I don't want to dig up half the flower bed looking for them in the Fall.

Seed starting begins tomorrow (for peppers). My transplants need to be started much later than most of the gardeners here, and I've been chomping at the bit... I can't tell you what a joy it is to finally begin the 2021 gardening season. :ya

Latest posts