What Did You Do In The Garden?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm, edge trimmer as weeder. As much as I would hate to add one more gadget, I like that idea. I'm not sure a hedge trimmer is precise enough to get in close without the risk of damage, maybe a powered shears would work better. Regardless of what powered tool we settle on, it will no doubt be another big time saver - and ideas that save time & effort are my main focus this year. Thanks for the idea, @Dirtmechanic . :thumbsup

DD & DW did something similar under several rows of soybeans last year, using scissors. Those plants did OK, so I know the idea has potential. It may be that cutting weeds off to prevent them from getting larger & going to seed is better than pulling them out; no root damage. The weeds would try to grow back of course, so the "haircut" would have to be repeated once or twice. It does remain to be seen whether the remaining roots will stunt the plants to any degree... I think this method could be my lab experiment for the year.
Oh the lawn scissors come out for weeding under squash and other fussy cucurbits. No way to disturb the roots pulling weeds and have them survive. Thats why I was looking lovingly at the stihl version of this idea.
Screenshot_20210315-221407.png

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm, edge trimmer as weeder. As much as I would hate to add one more gadget, I like that idea. I'm not sure a hedge trimmer is precise enough to get in close without the risk of damage, maybe a powered shears would work better. Regardless of what powered tool we settle on, it will no doubt be another big time saver - and ideas that save time & effort are my main focus this year. Thanks for the idea, @Dirtmechanic . :thumbsup

DD & DW did something similar under several rows of soybeans last year, using scissors. Those plants did OK, so I know the idea has potential. It may be that cutting weeds off to prevent them from getting larger & going to seed is better than pulling them out; no root damage. The weeds would try to grow back of course, so the "haircut" would have to be repeated once or twice. It does remain to be seen whether the remaining roots will stunt the plants to any degree... I think this method could be my lab experiment for the year.
Your post has certainly helped me. Thank you :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

The part of your post on clipping the leaves off the weeds has certainly helped me. Thank you :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Debbie Downer here.

I want to introduce an "element of caution" regarding simply clipping weeds. Cutting at ground level can kill some plants. However, this is certainly not true with all - even all annuals.

The concept is known to livestock people as annual-forage-systems-grazing . Several fields are used through the growing season. Mostly, grass species are used but not entirely.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My special new friend has almost completed my fence . I sent him home before he could finish because his DW wanted him home as it's his birthday tomorrow. He asked for very little money for this work and saved me a fortune. They are asking in the thousands here for any work with fencing. I feel so lucky he us around. How can I leave such amazing people. Next will be my raised bed when this dear man can find time to do it.

Another plus , my chickens have a good good beak for trusted people and would not stop following him and his GD. His granddaughter and my one girl were beak to nose when I got outside. :) . Happy days on a sunny evening

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

it really depends upon what type of weed it might be. some grasses can spread and drop seeds quickly enough that this method won't accomplish much other than to encourage them to spread further and others can be managed this way. chop and drop really is a method that some people use and it can be well worth it. just have to make sure the understory plants are ones you actually want.

me, Mom is a bare dirt person. anything green other than a painted frog or plant that she wants must be killed. stirrup hoe does that for the rows easily enough and close work around plants while working along is what has to get done. if i am lucky it will be warm enough tomorrow to go check out and scrape a few spots that are some trouble in the early spring. if i can scrape them once or twice now then it makes things easier later. having to work between and around a lot of tulip plants slows down that garden getting weeded very well until about when i can get the beans planted - by then the weeds have dropped seeds.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh the lawn scissors come out for weeding under squash and other fussy cucurbits. No way to disturb the roots pulling weeds and have them survive. Thats why I was looking lovingly at the stihl version of this idea.View attachment 39690

i have repeatedly cut back the NE garden many times with hedge trimmers. i thought they'd be really nice if mounted on wheels.

any string trimmer just wasn't strong enough to get the job done for some places. i used a metal blade on the Ryobi, it think it was just called something like a brush cutter blade that worked fine for getting through the heavy white clover stems and some of the other more woody plants. i haven't needed it since then since i got the large cutters which can snip wood stems 3 inches across or less. anything bigger than that i have a wood saw that is for trimming trees which i've taken down quite a lot of brush and large brushy trees with along with the hammer and chisel for one tree.