What Did You Do In The Garden?

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm building two new raised beds right now as well @Marie2020. I built one large raised bed about five years ago too. For all three all I did was till the ground underneath, which had a lot of clay. I didn't lay anything under even though there had been weeds there previously. The beds are about 1 foot high, and the 1st one has worked out really well. No weeds made there way up into the soil. I have some slug pressure, which is worse in areas that have a bit of shade at some part of the day. My most successful approach to them has been diatomaceous powder squirted from a mustard bottle.
That's great advice. I hope I can get hold of more of this diaomaceous powder.

Does it harm worms?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wove some cascade roses. Then the rains came.

Does it harm worms?
Careful there with the magic powder. Like everything spicy and delightful it is best with a lite sprinkle not a wheelbarrow load. It can have a negative impact in quantity.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My friend called last night, his sister us raving about onion sprouts. I've never heard of them. She loves them in salads.

What are they I must find them, this guy has been a continuous life saver to me for decades and not once asked for anything in return. I really will feel good if I can help them.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I'm not going to run around with no clothes on :weee:ep . Thank you very much

:)
You had better come up with a good reason. Well I would not speak for you but then you cannot see my house on the google map and you know what they say about what happens in the garden stays in the garden.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You had better come up with a good reason.
A couple of good reasons 1, I don't want to land up being the frozen lady and 2. My poor neighbor's would never get over the shock.

I've been caught out a few times in the mornings feeding my chickens but my one neighbour has learned to avoid his window when he hears me getting up to feed my girls, he has respect and his nerves can only take so much. Bless his heart. 😁

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Does it harm worms?
That's a good question @Marie2020; I don't think so. I have LOTS of worms in my garden, a crazy amount, and if it hurt them I doubt I'd have so many because I must have used half a pound of the stuff last year for cutworms. The other reason I think it won't harm the worms is the diatomeceous powder stays above the ground, on top of the soil or plant leaves. Worms are underneath the earth (unless its raining, but then the powder would wash away) so it doesn't touch them there. Also, the powder is totally without chemicals, it's just powdered ocean fossils, which I like.

It does wash away easily though, so when there is a heavy rain, it has to be reapplied.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I’m having that same problem with the corn some of it got washed out of the rows by the heavy rain this week. It looks just like a type of grass we have here so I spent about 10 minutes this morning scratching my head staring at the patch before I decided just to leave it another week or so and try to figure it out then.
We have a weed called crabgrass here (probably you have it too) and when it's small I find it looks like a few different grain plants. I've grown sorghum and millet, and I do popcorn a lot, and weeding them can be a riddle! I grow them in pots first before setting out now, but until I did that I made sure to plant in perfectly straight rows so I could recognise the 'weeds' growing in the rows and not pull them out!

Latest posts