What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are your barrels horizontal or vertical for composting?

Vertical. Have to put holes in the bottom, but I think I am going to have DS cut the middle of the bottom out so worms can come up in the barrels and leave depending on weather. I have never composted in barrels before just the bins.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cornmeal? Purpose?
I sprayed the first time this year for fungus but it rained a lottle so I went back out and put cornmeal on the squash and tomatoes.
My neighbor saw me with a box of cornmeal doing that to squash one year and he just had to come and see what I was doing. lol

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Vertical. Have to put holes in the bottom, but I think I am going to have DS cut the middle of the bottom out so worms can come up in the barrels and leave depending on weather. I have never composted in barrels before just the bins.
That makes rotating the pile a group event, does it not? Do you have a shovel door down low?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything is planted and I planted too much and too close. Part of the garden is out of use with the big pile of manure and then another small section I could not get the weeds out of. I have another part of the garden gone to weeds for the last 2 years. I am going to work on that to be able to plant next year. I weeded some this morning. The last of the beans are up. Beans on the fences look really good. My tomato plants look amazing. I put some squash and cucumber plants in the ground and waiting for the seeds to come up I planted. The garlic will come out next month and I am going to really put the manure on that area and plant lettuce and arugula and some Swiss chard. The weather has been unbelievable wonderful. I planted early and got away with it and for the first time in years I am getting spring rain on the garden after planted instead of plant and then the rain stops and I have to use the sprinklers. I think things are going to grow big and it is going to be a jungle. I will have to be on this with typing tomato plants and maybe trellis for cucumbers. I have saved a few flowers that came up in the garden and transplanted. I have a lot of hollyhocks, Shasta Daisy, Lupine, coneflowers that I have to get the ground ready to transplant them for next year.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That makes rotating the pile a group event, does it not? Do you have a shovel door down low?
They will be kicked over LOL and then shovel back in. Once it gets cold they will just sit there for the winter and maybe just put in the compost bin to finish for the next year. Usually all winter I have to clean the rabbit hutch beds and I put in these barrels and when no snow I drag them to the other side of the yard and dump either just in a pile or in a bin if room. Ever since DH not here to do all the work, this is all that gets done, but this year I only have 2 rabbits, so not as much to deal with and I can layer things better and eventually get things cleaned up.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually took a picture. This is blackberry blossoms. I have not been around to check on the raspberries since DS got stung. He did trim some branches back from the shed and sprayed one night, but I see a lot of bees on the raspberries. Adding he got stunk by a wasp not a honey bee and sprayed wasps in the shed, but the raspberries are covered in honey bees.
blackberry.JPG

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
A pan patty squash and plums. This is a plum that just spreads all over and only has little plums. I bought it in 2009 and some years it has a lot, but last year the aphids about killed the tree. It is called a native plum, and the ladybug picture is on a blackberry growing up beside the plum tree, which I have a feeling the aphids are there again. I have not checked.
pan patty again.jpg
plums.JPG
lady bug on blackberry cropped.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hilled Potatoes. I don't know what happened to them - some are scrawny things but they are blooming, like, weeks early! Anyway, they have fertilizer, the weeds are killed around them and there is loose soil gathered to protect the tubers.

Ran the tiller awhile and lamented the fact that I forgot the wire - for an add-on to the pea trellis and to tie a teepee together for the climbing beans.

I coulda used string for the beans but if the peas have outgrown the flea beetles, the beans most definitely have not. Bush or Climbing, they haven't grown an inch since being transplanted out. They have some organic fertilizer and, hopefully, will take off and git to goin', flea beetles or no flea beetles!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
restarted four of the worm buckets and have three more to do this morning. picked some strawberries, weeded, watered, removed some squash and melon sprouts from the the tomato plants, checked out the beans. and all was going ok.

today is about the same, get out and water the sprouting beans to make sure they have enough oomph to get out of the ground on a sunny day and then weed and whatever else sort of puttering i can get up to before it gets too hot outside.

Latest posts