What Did You Do In The Garden?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
No deep cold here, but rainy weather has finally set in. I'm glad we got the gardens 95% weeded & got all of the trellises up before the rain started. Started laying hay mulch, but only got 2 bales done before rain chased us out. Chances are that wet conditions will keep us out of the gardens for the next week... nothing to do but watch from the outside. I can see part of the biggest home garden from the kitchen window; the Piekny Jas runner beans have reached the top of their trellis, and the Jembo Polish beans are really healthy & halfway up. The Painted Mountain corn is loving the rain, and over knee high. Everything looks good so far.

It's only been a couple days of rain, and I'm already getting cabin fever. :caf I'm actually starting to plan part of next year's garden. Spent a day digging through my records & researching garlic in the SSE Yearbook & online, considering which garlic varieties to add to this Fall's planting. The raised bed will only accommodate 160 cloves max (unless I expand it), so it's hard to choose. I can only add another 2-3 varieties, and am trying to grow at least 2 of each sub-type (artichoke, Asiatic, marbled purple stripe, porcelain, and rocambole) so some varieties I really like won't make the cut. :( Too early to order garlic yet except for SSE, most of the companies which sell seed garlic haven't updated their websites or started taking orders yet.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted broccoli into a planter. Then added wood chips too my chicken coop.

Thanks to flowerbug I will plant these chips into my clay soil in a few months, apparently it will help to break up this thick solid clay. :)

I love this site.

it may take longer than a few months for them to get really fully broken down, but mostly broken down is good enough too, i guess it depends upon what the chickens do to them and since i've not ever raised chickens i can't say a thing about that other than perhaps *buk* *Buk* *BUK* :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been sick last few days. I have laryngitis and coughing some, head feels congested. I had this a few months ago and thought was from buring firewood a little green or the electric cord that melted. I think the heat is stressing me. Garden looks so good. I am not going to do anything but water until I feel better. I see weeds coming. I might try early or really late if a breeze. Heavenly blue morning glory finally bloomed.
IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been sick last few days. I have laryngitis and coughing some, head feels congested. I had this a few months ago and thought was from buring firewood a little green or the electric cord that melted. I think the heat is stressing me. Garden looks so good. I am not going to do anything but water until I feel better. I see weeds coming. I might try early or really late if a breeze. Heavenly blue morning glory finally bloomed. View attachment 41672View attachment 41673
Pretty morning glories! Hope you feel better soon.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it may take longer than a few months for them to get really fully broken down, but mostly broken down is good enough too, i guess it depends upon what the chickens do to them and since i've not ever raised chickens i can't say a thing about that other than perhaps *buk* *Buk* *BUK* :)
Buk buk , brok brohk. My littles make the strangest of sounds :plbb

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watered everything. Garden is growing. Next morning after watering I can see things grew. I got the raspberries watered. I will water my box with lettuce and Swiss chard here in a minute. Still eating lettuce. I saw a little on the end going to seed, so probably any day now I am going to lose the last of the lettuce. I will plant more next month after I get the garlic out. I have a little row that has come up out in the garden, but this heat, not sure what will happen. I sure make the birds happy with the watering. I have a sprinkler sitting on top of a metal trash can and there is a ridge that holds about an inch of water on the bottom of this can and the birds are taking baths in that water.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was injecting Bt into my summer squash that have the dreaded SVB and my elderly neighbor came over. I got the eyeball on that one. Trichoderma and cornmeal for the plot to stay ahead of the weather driven fungi, some espoma tomato tone with a cytokinin kicker sprayed liberally. Lots of good looking tomatoes but I always want more! I have some german queens to transplant now that the radishes are gone by. And yardly, I dug up the hybrids (roses) before I continued my streak of killing every one I have ever planted and put them back in pots where they can breathe. I still have 2 dark purple lilacs called Bloomerangs that they promise can grow in my zone 8a. We shall see.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@GrandmaDeKorte ,

You are from Redmond, Oregon - I believe you said. Try to think of it as being back there in a hot, hot summertime. You have a better understanding than many in your neighborhood, at least.

I looked at the town where I grew up, Medford OR. It was 115° there once. Sheesh! Of course, I probably wasn't there that year ;) but I'm trying to behave like a desert rat from the Mojave. Not gonna find me frolicking in the sun this week, that's for sure! Tell those dogs to "wise up!" Probably just babies but let's hope that they have some instincts to help them get through this.

Steve

Latest posts