What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
For

the 4th time today I have lightly sprayed the run down to lower the 100 temp to 85
My flock is hanging in there, but they are tired
I just cold wash raged my 2 dogs faces, ears and tummy's - They dont like it above 65

the temp is to go up more tomorrow,
I have had a day of it too and tomorrow will be worse. I had the sprinkler going over the patio and roof of the rabbit hutch. Birds loved it. I put gallon water bottles in the freezer for the rabbits tomorrow. My cats threw up yesterday. They will not sleep back here in the office where the AC is, lying in the kitchen floor where it normally in the past was cool from breeze coming in patio door, but today it was like a furnace. We put another AC in the kitchen window, but it does not work good and it helped, but blowing warmish air and then a floor flan facing kitchen. I was wearing a wet shirt all day. My bedroom feels like an oven. I think I will be wearing a wet shirt to bed or wet the top sheet.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, red alert- My cats threw up yesterday.- they are over heated honey, for their own good some how you have to contain them in the AC office. Heat stroke in dogs and cats
https://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/common-emergencies/e_ct_heat_stroke
I know you are stressed, this is a hard time we all are dealing with.
I am praying for everyone,
They threw up the day before we put the AC and fan in the kitchen. We will get through it. My son went to work and no AC where he is out. They have big doors. Maybe they will close early. I am going to do the water sprinkler for the rabbits again. It made the AC work better in the kitchen. It will be 105 today here. Hope you and all your animals stay safe today.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been out in the coop / run since 8, I took down all the tarps and redid them, raked and hosed down the run. It was 91 in there when I came in. I need to drink water and eat something it is 97 out now. I hope the cats feel better , I am glad the rabbits are good.
View attachment 41774
View attachment 41775View attachment 41776
Lucky chickens! I am getting ready to turn the sprinkler on. The rabbits have their ice and I am sure melted by now, so going to put new ice in. I saw a bird with mouth open. They will like the sprinkler. My daughter saw a deer walking down the street with her mouth open. She saw several in town laying under a tree. My cats are sleeping. Time for the old one to go outside. He is an indoor outdoor, so will take he him out when I turn the sprinkler on. My stomach is not too happy, so I am eating very little. Made jello. it is 101 and feels like 105.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@GrandmaDeKorte and @Gardening with Rabbits UGH, I am miserable just hearing about the temps and humidity you are having. Prayers it ends soon and relief is on the way. It is nowhere near as warm here but humidity is high and I feel like a limp dishrag. I feel awful for you all in the NW. Stay well.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Despite all of the rain (about 3") the home gardens were just dry enough to walk on, if I stayed on the mulch & walked softly. So added another hoop of twine to support the growing peas, ran string for the Bert Goodwin beans, and bagged blossom clusters on the 3 tomato varieties growing at home. The "Purple" tomatoes from SSE are really vigorous, I'll post a photo soon.

DW fell hard outside a week ago Sunday, bruised her knee, and has been off her feet since. She really has cabin fever, and hobbled out to the gardens today to do some light work. She trained the bitter melon & some of the beans to the trellis, and dead-headed all of her potted flowers. Being in the gardens really cheered her up... I can't think of a better place to promote healing.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@GrandmaDeKorte and @Gardening with Rabbits UGH, I am miserable just hearing about the temps and humidity you are having. Prayers it ends soon and relief is on the way. It is nowhere near as warm here but humidity is high and I feel like a limp dishrag. I feel awful for you all in the NW. Stay well.
Humidity would finish me. LOL. Stay safe. We will all be complaining of snow and cold one day.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got to 105 and felt like 107. Rabbits did good. One laid next to the ice. The other seemed fine. I just let the sprinkler go for long time. Back yard was kind of cool when I went out and front was cooking. House stayed good. I can face the 110 tomorrow. Feel better. Wearing wet clothes when getting too hot helps, so I am prepared now. The cats did well. The garden looks so good. I have got to get strings on the beans and do some weeding. As soon as we have a break, I have kale and collards to put in the freezer and soon raspberries and the garlic will be coming up. Three days over 100 down and at least 7 to go.

Latest posts