What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeded the asparagus patch. I’ve inherited some weed that puts on a huge tap root with side branches that acts like a vine or bush depending upon space. I’m sure it will come back. Next time I will paint it.
Planted some Swiss chard and cilantro. Need to start some beets and carrots. May try some turnips although never had much luck.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suspect that you gave those cucumbers lots of rabbit compost, @Gardening with Rabbits ;). Patience.

I harvested a bucket of cucumbers, today. No brag, just fact ... The first substantial harvest this season. Of course, I'm late on the scene :confused: .

Late also for some of the zucchini that have grown as bug as a wiffleball bat! That's okay.

I may have to change my thinking on the Velour beans but the jury is still out. The plants are small but they are suddenly covered with beans. It's like the extreme heat delayed development from the early flowering so they are all coming on at once. Tiny things but I picked quite a few. Then, covered them in the bucket with a whole bunch of Jade bush beans. Those plantings are on the same amount of ground. We will see.

This is looking like about the best pepper and eggplant year that I have ever had. The Anaheim are really kicking them out! Eggplant is still getting wound up but the plants come to mid-thigh. Already, a few Asian types have come home.

Where are the tomatoes? The only fruit is here at home. They just aren't flowering out in the big veggie garden ...

Picked 10 ears of Sugar Buns sweetcorn.

Steve :)
A bucket of cucumbers! Yes, lots of manure, really more cow manure than rabbit. I have beans in different places and the ones next to the pile of cow manure have huge dark green colored leaves compared to other places in the garden.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday DW & I went to the rural garden. We finished harvesting this cutting of the water spinach (kang kong), picked some tromboncino & cukes, and did a little weeding. Last year, the water spinach (planted at home) was severely infested with flea beetles, and was a total loss. Much better this year. As would be expected, "water spinach" didn't mind all the rainfall:
View attachment 42683
Water spinach. We'll save a little for ourselves, but will be giving much of this to our kids & some family friends. Sometimes we add the greens to mung bean soup, but mostly we eat it boiled & seasoned with soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic powder.

I've been feeling under the weather, so didn't do much today other than beetle patrol. The JB's are really starting to swarm; besides the runner beans, they have taken a liking to one of the tall soybeans. I killed about 20 there this morning, and an equal number just before sunset. That is in spite of the 3 beetle traps I have out catching hundreds. :(
I hope you feel better soon!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to do some weeding and the weather is going to cool off. I have not really done anything other than bring stuff in and putting things in the freezer. I just got through blanching about a gallon of beans tonight.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been feeling under the weather, so didn't do much today other than beetle patrol.

hope you feel better soon! at least you are eating your veggies! :)

The JB's are really starting to swarm; besides the runner beans, they have taken a liking to one of the tall soybeans. I killed about 20 there this morning, and an equal number just before sunset. That is in spite of the 3 beetle traps I have out catching hundreds. :(

oh yeah, this has been a pretty heavy year, the soybean fields all around us are getting sprayed, it stinks like chemical factory here for a week after they spray. hate to think what it is we're breathing. they've not used it before that i remember.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked yellow squash and zucchini yesterday. It added to my pile, so much that I called a neighbor and gave it away. It was almost enough to fill a laundry basket. He spread it around the neighborhood and they sliced and froze a lot of it. I picked green beans, only got 3 pint jars, but I canned them anyway.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Picked some flowers for a mini bouquet

28999.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i did get a few more hours of weeding done while it was cool outside. not too bad out there now but any chance i can get ahead is a good idea as i know what is coming... :)
Yup, more hot & humid. Great for the veggies, especially the cowpeas & yardlongs... you can almost watch them grow in the heat. Not so great though, if you want to can something without heating up the whole house.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no idea why I thought the weather was cooling off. It hasn't so DS put an AC in the kitchen window. Cannot open the doors and windows, smoke comes in and just too hot even then. This way I can blanch stuff for the freezer. I kept putting off the greens waiting for cool weather. The weeds will just have to stay until cooler weather. I picked enough peppers to freeze a gallon and surrounded by weeds. Freezing beans, squash, blackberries daily and a few tomatoes and eating some. Thinking of having BLT's for supper tonight.

Latest posts