What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This week I cleaned out my potato bin. every one of them was sprouting...so now they are in the ground. Serves them Right!! I started my tomato seeds...outside...in my 100 gallon water tank, the one that had sprung a leak two years ago. I tilled up a year old compost pile and filled it up to 12 inches from the top. Then I added a package of seed starter, as I had heard to do on SOMEbody's gardening program, so that the little seeds have something wet to grab onto. I planted dill seeds with them, too. Then I misted the top and covered with my windows...from my hotbed/cold bed. Just another recycling project. Btw, the water tank is black rubber, so it should hold heat.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moved the lillies to their new home. Dug up stinging nettles-roots everywhere.....tilled up part of the garden, transplanted some walking onions, garlic, then planted some peas, green beans and sweet corn.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
had started coop clean out last weekend & recycled the feed bags by putting the used litter in them to haul over to the garden. i didn't get to moving all the bags to the garden so yesterday i moved the rest. been thinking about making a few raised/hot beds but should have waited to spread out the litter till those were being worked on.

went though all the pots i had beside the garden to see if any signs of life other than the early weeds (ground ivy, blah). a few showing signs of life i want to see but others just got dumped into the garden after weeding. my raspberry canes i left in pots are still growing so that's a good sign.

noticed my 1 clump of daffodils are blooming! need to go check the garlic bed in front of that to see how they are doing this week. chives are also popping up & i can harvest some if i need it but will give a couple more weeks for them to be taller.

no Easter dinner with family since we don't have any really young kids in the family. so today i will till in the chicken litter into the garden. maybe dh & i can get the plastic panels started on the greenhouse! pump will be going in the pond to get that circulating for my fish to go out for the season. supposed to get into the low 80's here today! :weee

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today we staked and caged the 6 new fruit trees. Also finished pruning the full grown fruit trees and the flowering crab. We raked up a large pile of pine needles and moved them to the burn pile which is getting massive already. Then we finished transplanting the few tomatoes we had left to do. Glad to have the pruning done for the year. It is hard work to tame 40 year old apple trees that have not been pruned for decades. After last years and this years pruning they are looking pretty good though.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have the same apple tree's here 40 years old had not been touched since the builder/homeowner died
15 years ago the children let the house sit 5 years then sold they let it go to the bank after 6 years then it sat for 2
till we bought it massive undertaking 40 year old rhodies, oak, apple trees a walnut tree and one pear

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eva has become the official lawn mower for the back yard, which has freed up some time. I'm FINALLY getting some of the early spring chores done. Crepe Myrtles trimmed, weeds pulled from beds, mulch (pine cones) down.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have the same apple tree's here 40 years old had not been touched since the builder/homeowner died
15 years ago the children let the house sit 5 years then sold they let it go to the bank after 6 years then it sat for 2
till we bought it massive undertaking 40 year old rhodies, oak, apple trees a walnut tree and one pear
It makes
it makes for some hard work to start out but all trees produced last fall so it is helping. The standard sized apple tree produced 800lbs of apples last fall so all this pruning and cleaning these trees out is paying off.

Latest posts