What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Set the corn plants out.

Planted a few Jade beans. They will be joined by quite a few more green beans after the peas are finished and pulled, if everything works out.

Tilled ground for the corn and for squash and the other vining plants. The squash etc are having their last days hardening off and will go in with the next trip out.

The tractor guy spread the thistles around in a big way. The tiller can't be trusted to kill them so I will have some spading fork work next time.

Steve

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With my sons help we reseed the sweet corn where the seeder missed. I also did the same foe soybean patch.
The potato patch is getting so full!of weeds too! The tall weed is rye 😆.
I moved some hay aside and saw a nice potato!

Attachments

• 20220526_100559.jpg
    20220526_100559.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220526_100610.jpg
    20220526_100610.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 81

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The tractor guy spread the thistles around in a big way. The tiller can't be trusted to kill them so I will have some spading fork work next time.

Steve
Tillers are a great way to spread thistles….. Now if only thistles had a positive use.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
filled in a puddle at the end of the driveway (again!) and let it sit the rest of the day because it was basically just mud and gravel and i was hoping it would drain enough that i could compact it, but that took an extra day without any rain. so yesterday i got it compacted down some and hope that will help keep it in place. there are so many trucks, farm equipment and semis that drive over the end of the driveway that it makes a mess and Mom is so tired of driving through the puddles and mud. why can't people stay on the road?

:old

i did send a note to the trash haulers because they are the ones doing the most damage. perhaps they'll keep it on the road...

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I spent about 2 hours tilling in the distant garden. Planted were the vine crops: pumpkins, squash, melons, and cucumbers.

The thermometer made it to just about 60°f (15°C) and it began to sprinkle so we headed home.

The tomatoes could have been planted but I still don't have the ground tilled where they are to go. I'd really like to baby the peppers & eggplant a few more days at home but since they are already in the hardening off stage, they won't have much babying.

It's hard for me to believe that what is still here in the yard on sawhorses is from seed planted almost 3 months ago!!! Even so, it is nearly as surprising that the plants look so young and about the right stage to be transplanted out (that is, except for the peppers ;)). It is all related to such a dearth of sunlight this Spring. Dearth ... how about that word :D? Although it now means an "absence" of something, it was the English term for "a scarcity of food." And earlier, the meaning was "precious, costly" the online etymology dictionary tells us. Food? Well yeah, sure! Plants make use of water, air AND sunlight to make food and gROW!

It just didn't hardly happen through those weeks :).

Steve

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
planted most of the tomatoes and decided that i really need to pick up some more today as a few plants in the containers weren't growing right or one was completely missing. it was there the other day so i'm not sure what happened to it... Gremlins? wonder if the greenhouse is open today...

going to be up near 87F today so it will be a challenge to get them planted, but it should be ok with a good breeze.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mulched some areas in the garden.

Picked hundreds of bean beetles off the tiny plants. They came early this year and are attacking mercilessly!

I have been re planting some squash and flint corn seeds where they didnt germinate.

It is hot but the breeze helps some.

We had wraps for lunch and I included fresh grated beets in it. The kids are having a blast making jokes about getting hurt and bleeding when the beet juice runs down their hands 😆🤣

I'm just excited they are eating the beets. I am also excited that I grew beets for the first time in 5 years!

Latest posts