What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Had to buy another horse stock tank--Buster Brown pawed in the water in the 100 gallon Rubbermaid one, and once again, two years in a row, cracked it and made it leak. Sooooo, I made that one into the pepper nursery. I bought some Hungarian sweet peppers and a few jalepano--there were the expensive Bonnie brand--but I'll pick up some 6 packs of sweet bell peppers. I filled it with compost to about 10 inches from the top, planted the seedlings, then sprayed them with the nozzle then filled it to soil level with water and drained. I had an old, white shower curtain to cover and also 2 old windows to keep it down. It's cool tonight, but tomorrow will be in the 60's and that should warm them up nicely.
DH mowed 1/2 of the 3 acre north pasture and good news!!! MUCH more grass than last April. I had purchased a mechanical seeder on sale last month. It's a smaller one, but $25.00 is MUCH better than the $60-$70 ones I have seen in flyers. I suppose it sounds silly to push that around a big pasture, but I was using all of last year's seeds, about 75 pounds worth, and investing in a bigger one for this use isn't worth it. DH wondered why I wanted him to mow where I had distributed the seed. The mower blows the grass, tall weeds AND the seed and helps to keep it moist. We are getting a good rain This Thursday, so I'll see what happens.
I finally put up the fence portion at DD's house that has been against the house since they bought it. Although the fencing is old and very dry, it only took four 3 inch screws to attach it. I will be buying 6 vertical slats to replace those missing from all of the fencing and DD will be spray painting it with white paint in a few weeks. (We have a paint spray gun.) I figure 3-4 good coats of paint should keep it going for a few more years.
I dug up tulips and daffodils from a bed under 7 pine trees where it has become a weedfest. I need to kill ALL of the vegetation under the trees, but I planted these bulbs about 5 years ago and they have multiplied nicely. I have no particular use this year for the bed around the cement cistern, so it has become a staging nursery for tulips, daffodils and iris that were dug up on purpose or by mistake and need to be kept until this Fall or next year. I have some onion sets that will be tucked around them sometime this week. One was a purple tulip that I planted next to a living stump that HAS TO GO, so I dug it best I could. Although I cut one big bulb in half with my spade there were still a good dozen bulbs to plant next the fence piece at my DD's house, the rest went in the cistern bed.
I also planted my amaryllis in the front bed. I bought it on clearance for 50 cents in January and though it has massive leaves it never did flower for me. If I remember to bring it in and dry pot it in the dark of the basement this September, I'll try again with it around Thanksgiving.
Kinda sore, so good thing I have to work tomorrow!

Last edited:

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ducks you sure have been productive. Made me tired reading about it, lol. My DH mows down everything too. Great job repurposing the horse trough.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got T posts pounded in for my CP trellises and got help moving a VERY heavy bench into the garden.

Many of the perennials are up there and trying to bloom....strawberries are blooming, the chives are blooming, rhubarb is taking hold, raspberries are making a showing, the sugar snap peas are up about 5-6 in. and all have seemed to germinate and are growing well, the garlic has snapped out of a yellow time after I applied some fertilizer, the flowers are starting to get some growth on them, my red/orange honeysuckle has formed bloom heads, and my lettuce sets are filling out....will transplant those into the tunnels this week.

Will have some bloom on the peonies for the first time in 7 yrs, the clematis seem to be doing well and are reaching upwards. Peach trees are LOADED with little peaches and the apple trees are blooming...one tree VERY much, others just so-so, some not at all.

Planted a new tea rose bush last week. Only one rose from all those root stocks we planted last year has survived and it is barely there. Don't expect it to survive. The lilac bush didn't bloom this year either.

Latest posts