What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Portuguese kale?

I like the smaller bok choy varieties but Toy Choy is sooo tiny! There was a good chance I'd miss it during its best days for harvest.

No trip to the gardens, yesterday. The HUGE billowing clouds were absolutely intimidating! Painted the new fence posts that went in the front yard and took another panel off. Removed the pickets, scraped and wire brushed them. They are in the greenhouse drying waiting to be installed on the new fence rails, which are cut and painted.

Oh, and I moved pepper seedlings into 4-packs during the morning.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
On Monday I bought 6 Califiornia Wonder sweet peppers fof the new tank bed. I must have over 100 little tomato seedlings up in the other bed and it's gonna rain today, so I watered it heavily and left it to enjoy the sunshine. I finished replanting the tulip and daffodil bulbs that were sitting in a painter's bucket with water, looking very good, into my cistern bed. I raked up the soil around the transplanted/holding black iris bulbs and planted about 50 onion sets. The rest of the 150 onion sets AND the purchased onions are going in in a few days, but I'd like to till and add some more compost before I put them in. Seems like the onion sets only really produce salad onions, but I am counting on the others to really produce for me, later in the season.
I still need to buy 6 more sweet bell peppers and about 9 more jalepanoes for a really good harvest in 2017.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I discovered a tomato plant in the garden today so now I have half a dozen potato plants and a tomato plant. I do have more I need to set out but I still don't have my fence up yet. :th

So far I only have two post up (sort of). We really need a post driver. My chickens are doing a good job of keeping it weed free so when I can plant everything at least the weeds are gone and it is fertilized.

My garden is going to be a combination of containers and in dirt. My sons were suppose to be doing a couple of beds but they pretty much refused. :barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
picked a wash pan full of turnip greens.
I will have turnip greens for the first time since ... maybe, ever! I grew turnips in the 60's & 70's, a few times. They grew well but my critters got the turnips. I just never cared about the roots when I was a kid and Mom prepared them. I can eat kohlrabi so I think my tastes may have changed but --- I bought turnip seed for plants that don't make bulbous roots. Nozawana from Kitazawa, "This traditionally selected Japanese turnip is grown specifically for its dark green, long leafed greens and stalks. Cold and heat tolerant. It has a delicious mild flavor, tender texture, and is often used for pickling." I could have sown the seed already but forgotten them at home.

I decided to try the Toy Choy because only 35 days and you do not have to start inside, but is this true?
Bok choy and turnips are in the same family. I wouldn't have known bok choy from periwinkle in the 60's & (early) 70's - except, I was probably eating bok choy at my favorite Chinese restaurant ;). It may have been over 20 years ago that I grew Toy Choy ... no, it can't be that long ago ... that was Tatsoi. The variety of Tatsoi I grew was so close to the ground (like flat against it) that it was a ground cover. Kitazawa says, "Toy Choy is early and is ready to harvest 30 to 35 after sowing." Pretty little plants ...

Steve
who has escarole seed in the hoophouse beds as of today!

Latest posts