What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is there a variety of black eyed peas where the plants don’t get so rank?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where are those hornets??

I think they're here... do you want some? ;)
This is also funny 😄.

I am parked at a supermarket at this moment. A yellow jacket just flew in the passenger window and went under the dashboard in front of my feet.

I don’t know where he is now but I’m sitting here trying not to upset him. Will take him home in a few minutes. WINDOWS OPEN - so, he can leave any time he wants!

not-really-scared Steve:D

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

what do you mean?

i've grown black eyed peas here twice and both times the plants were really nice looking. i had more trouble at the harvest stage with them, but it was just the quality of the dry beans.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you mean the rampant vining habit, there are bush cowpeas (although they may develop one short runner, which I cut off). MN 13 & MN 150, both of which I've posted of on previous bean threads (MN 13 last year) are two of those. They can be planted at the same spacing as bush beans. Neither is a "black eyed pea" per se (different seed colors) but as cowpeas, they are used the same. Both have very short DTMs too.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yummy! That sounds wonderful! I love cherry wine! I've made homemade wine for years, homemade blackberry mead, and also hard cider, but would love to make cherry wine one day!
Picked cherries, about 5 more pies worth. Moving ALL to the big freezer in a few minutes. I use a pie plate to measure, NONE pitted...do that later. Most will be pies, some may become wine, although the cherries that I canned have a better future as cherry wine. Eldest DD and I are going to start on our wine making adventure this Sunday.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday i buried some mini sweet peppers. i don't know why a person came over and dropped off three bags of them (not their own garden produce, but something they'd bought at the store). i didn't even know they were sitting in the garage in the hot sun in the plastic bags for several hours and Mom didn't mention them to me either. they were rotting. while i was out in that garden i weeded it. that was it for the day for me in garden adventures.

rains and watering made it at least possible to dig in that garden, but that soil is getting pretty compacted. it could use some organic material in it. there are plenty of worm tunnels in the clay though so it drains well enough.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Dahlia , you could start a thread on wine making.

I also made wine for a number of years. What I wanted to do foremost was use something from the garden. I was certain that there were commercial grape wines available that would be far better than anything I could come up with. Besides, I didn't grow grapes ;).

Blackberry Mead. I didn't know that there was such a thing. I made Apple Cider a couple of times but really cheated. Bought apple juice ...

The beer Dad and I use to make was especially good. All ingredients from the beer store ...

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
got a bit further on the end of the driveway. Mom said don't haul limestone from the back but instead just pay someone to bring us some more. hmm... well ok, but i'd much rather not spend the $ (i'm frugal i admit it :) ). so i get to call around tomorrow and see how much it might run.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The blackberry mead we make once a year is amazing! We pick local blackberries, source local organic honey, and just use wine yeast and filtered water. This blackberry mead is so flavorful and quite strong (one glass = approx two glasses of wine).
We let it sit until Thanksgiving and then share it with our kids and their families! It's a fun tradition. 😊

@Dahlia , you could start a thread on wine making.

I also made wine for a number of years. What I wanted to do foremost was use something from the garden. I was certain that there were commercial grape wines available that would be far better than anything I could come up with. Besides, I didn't grow grapes ;).

Blackberry Mead. I didn't know that there was such a thing. I made Apple Cider a couple of times but really cheated. Bought apple juice ...

The beer Dad and I use to make was especially good. All ingredients from the beer store ...

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nearly all of the major garden work is done. I spread mulch on the last area needing it (around Washday cowpeas), weeded around the Painted Mountain corn (remaining seed from @baymule ), and put up the trellis posts I forgot about for the tomatoes (which were flopping on the ground - oops).

During what should have been a mid-day siesta in the 90 degree heat, drove out to the rural garden to check on the garlic (a pleasant breeze there made it bearable). All but 2 varieties were ready; so dug them, let the roots dry for about an hour, brushed off most remaining dirt, and bundled them to be hung. We always hung those in the patio to cure; but that room is currently 1/2 way through a complete rebuild... I'll need to put up some hooks in the garage tomorrow. Photos to follow.