What Did You Do In The Garden?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Harvested couple of bags full of squash, washed them, Sliced them and loaded them in to the dehydrator. The small ones I kept to share and sell.
Also harvested cucumbers, lemon cucumber, cherry tomato, Slicing tomatoes and peppers. Most will be sold to a friend. Actually bartered. She makes these amazing dish scrubbies so we trade :).

Also, fertilized the squash and corn and turned the sprinklers on. It was supposed to rain, it didn't.
Tomorrow I'm taking the kids to a friend's house who has a pool. We both need a day to relax and enjoy the summer.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Transplanted the naked-seeded pumpkins today, and covered them immediately with floating row cover (held down by rebar) to keep out SVB. Hopefully by the time these plants get large & start to bloom, the SVB egg laying period will be over & the cover can be safely removed.

I took advantage of cool(er) temps to begin pounding in 1/2 of the trellis poles (about 20). Weather permitting, I'll begin tying strings across those poles tomorrow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another 3 hours of running water in the garden but first ...

. there was an 1 1/2 hours of sitting on a stool and hammering away at the weeds. The setting -- the soybeans. Some had suffered. Can't have a mat of purslane and a pigweed twice as tall as the garden plant without some struggling by what you are wanting to grow. The weeds were carried out of the garden in a bucket because the water was soon to be falling on them.

By no means are the weeding tasks done. There are plenty of weeds and some will be difficult to deal with like the grass in the corn. Nothing is suffering as much as those soybeans were, direct sown. Maybe next year they will be started at home and set out ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeded the eggplant and peppers.

Hey, I learned something today ;). On the outside of the eggplant there are rows of lettuce. This area of the garden, the tractor guy scattered thistle. I went through it twice with the spading fork to dig them out and and hopefully, that will be all of them in the path. Today, I found one under the lettuce. The transplanted lettuce had killed it! There may be more under those lush, leaf lettuce plants -- smothered, dead and never to see the light of day ;).

Harvested snap and snow peas. When everything was started during our cool Spring, I said that I was about 2 weeks late. This is usually the week that I pull the pea vines and plant beans. Ain't gonna take the chance that there will be time before frost to grow green beans. Have another bed with seed already in it.

Cut a few heads of Tiara cabbage (DW says she wants to make cabbage rolls :)) a few kohlrabi and it was time for a looong lunch while the sprinklers ran. Another good time for sprinklers with almost zero wind. Lucky .... cool, rainy weeks to grow lettuce that smothers thistles and quiet Summer days to run sprinklers.

Steve
it's an ill wind blaws naebody gude

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With the coming sunny, no-rain days, painting is the best option.

Painting as an activity after sitting in front of the screen working is good for health, too. I only finished the paint in one small tray each time, but I believe I can get this side done today.
5620.jpg

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Setup some shallow water dishes for the bees! Complete with stones so that they don't drown. It's crazy how many bees are buzzing around now that the sun is out! 🐝 🥰 I've allowed the crimson clover groundcover to bloom and left in some volunteers (that I'd normally remove) to provide bee and hummingbird forage since my garden crops are being so slow to develop. We've got a great crop of mullein blooming. 😏

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last trellis poles were driven in a few days ago, and the rebar supports attached. DD & Granddaughter tied strings on one 50' bean row. My brother & I bought 10 bales of clean grass hay; with his & Grandson's help, we mulched nearly all of the 100' garden before storms arrived.

Yesterday the 2 soybean rescues were planted in their pots & mulched. The first garlic variety (Carpati) was ready, so I dug them up & covered them with hay, to cure for a few days before hanging. Despite allegedly different ripening times for different types, all 9 varieties ripened within a week of each other last year, and they appear to be repeating that again this year.

Today I scuffle hoed the areas to be mulched tomorrow, and tied another 50' of trellis string. Everything left could be done in one full day, but my brother & I have been alternating between rebuilding my patio, and working in the gardens. Tying string is a welcome break from demolition. :th

Latest posts