What Did You Do In The Garden?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cleaned up some tomatoes and grafted another two tomato stems on the potato plant
I knew it was too late in the season, but it's still an interesting experiment. Next spring, I will do all vegetable graftings in late spring.
8634.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking of quoting that person who said something like half the job is just showing up.

That's sometimes what showing up at the distant garden just to run sprinklers seems like. There's the "snatch" of vegetables first, before the water comes on. That sometimes takes all of 15 minutes - cleaning, etc. can be done at home.

Today however, the snatch took about 2 hours. It was afternoon before the irrigation could be shut off. A very full large cooler, 4 buckets and a full milk crate ... sweet corn, cucumbers, melons, eggplant, peppers, lots of green beans, etc. etc!

Tomorrow morning, temperatures in the mid-50's and a cooler afternoon in "low" 80's! It will be good morning to bring those 2 buckets of green beans in for processing and then out to the freezer. The tomatoes are trickling it but I should be making some tomato soup, also.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cleaned up some tomatoes and grafted another two tomato stems on the potato plant
I knew it was too late in the season, but it's still an interesting experiment. Next spring, I will do all vegetable graftings in late spring.
View attachment 51803
Phaedra, have you ever done this experiment before? Do you get tomatoes growing from a potato plant!? How cool! My parents did a lot of grafting with apple trees. They had one tree that had 3 different kinds of apples growing on it!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Phaedra, have you ever done this experiment before? Do you get tomatoes growing from a potato plant!? How cool! My parents did a lot of grafting with apple trees. They had one tree that had three different kinds of apples growing on it!
Hi Dahlia,

No, this is also my first time. It seems that vegetable grafting is more common in the nursery business. They will graft tomatoes/eggplants/melons/cucumbers on specific rootstock varieties.

It was just a pure funny experiment when I saw a commercial product here - the upper crops are cherry tomatoes, and the lower crops are potatoes. Gradually, I realized that it's quite a common practice. That might be why the young melons, eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, etc., sold in the gardening centers/nurseries in early spring are always bigger than the ones we sow at home. Tomatoes+potatoes are more for fun, but I want to graft eggplants (on tomato rootstocks) and melons (on squash rootstocks) as our summer is not long enough for them. Grafting might be the solution.

I also think about grafting trees next year - the multiple varieties of apples on one tree are what I want to try, too.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Dahlia,

No, this is also my first time. It seems that vegetable grafting is more common in the nursery business. They will graft tomatoes/eggplants/melons/cucumbers on specific rootstock varieties.

It was just a pure funny experiment when I saw a commercial product here - the upper crops are cherry tomatoes, and the lower crops are potatoes. Gradually, I realized that it's quite a common practice. That might be why the young melons, eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, etc., sold in the gardening centers/nurseries in early spring are always bigger than the ones we sow at home. Tomatoes+potatoes are more for fun, but I want to graft eggplants (on tomato rootstocks) and melons (on squash rootstocks) as our summer is not long enough for them. Grafting might be the solution.

I also think about grafting trees next year - the multiple varieties of apples on one tree are what I want to try, too.
I was just talking to my mom about the apple trees she and my dad had and I learned that my parents had an espaliered apple tree with 6 different varieties!
My mom remembers Braeburn, Yellow Delicious, Winesap, and Cortland. She couldn't remember the rest. The tree was at least 30 ft wide as they were always trimming the upward growth!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Haven't been in the garden in a week except to harvest few tomatoes for sandwiches and such. I miss being in the garden. We did visit an arboretum and they had a rose growing that smelled like apricots! I think it was called apricot drift rose.
I do need to get back in the garden tho. My fall veggies are getting huge in the soil blocks! This week we will prepare a plot for the fall garden.

Attachments

• 20220904_171716.jpg
    20220904_171716.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 50

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday finished going through the last of the bean gardens inside the fence looking for dry pods. with several days in the forecast coming up for rains i figured i should get everything picked that i could find.

today and tomorrow i'll check the bean gardens outside the fence and pick whatever needs to be brought in.

Latest posts