What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before running sprinklers,

took out first planting of corn and planted out mustard greens, choy sum and leaf lettuce.

We will see. This is in the big, very exposed veggie garden. Have some bok choy in a greenhouse bed. We will see. It's very hot in there these days even when fully open. It was 100°f outdoors, this afternoon (38°C). Not really the weather for Asian greens.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garden club? Is this a large(r) group of people? Sounds like fun.

once a month meeting at the local library. i asked the director of the library if we could use one of their meeting rooms once a month. the past few months it was light, last month i sat there by myself and worked on a few projects that i took with me thinking nobody would be there.

this month there were three of us and that was good because we did have some nice topics to keep us talking. i also could give away some green onion seeds. as we were there another person stopped in to say hi to one of the others so we got to talking to him about green onions and garlic. :) i wonder if he'll show up again sometime. we'll see. i also work on any seed library additions or grow outs while i'm there. i noticed last month that almost all the beans i'd put in there had been adopted out so i need to add some more again, but i don't have any fresh seeds yet for this season and my existing supply of one type (Victoria Brown Eyes) are not the best condition so i didn't take them with me today. i'm hoping my current crop of those will come through well so i can replenish those.

one of the topics was some peppers one of the people was growing and giving plants to others to grow and they said there was a really wide range in how hot some of the peppers were, some people were saying they were really hot and others said they weren't hot at all. so she wanted to know if this varied by plant and said that someone said that if the pepper was cross pollinated that the cross would make it hot but i'm pretty sure that the mother plant would be the one causing the heat and not the cross until the next season if you were to plant those seeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not gonna contradict you on that pepper analysis, @flowerbug .

However, there is something that I have wondered about: You know how HOT those seeds are when you leave some in the pepper and find them in your mouth. The embryo is inside of that seed case ...

I'm all but certain that different growing conditions make a difference in heat. Maybe that is more apparent to me because of the differences year-to-year in a garden where I have been growing things for 10 or 20 years.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not gonna contradict you on that pepper analysis, @flowerbug .

However, there is something that I have wondered about: You know how HOT those seeds are when you leave some in the pepper and find them in your mouth. The embryo is inside of that seed case ...

I'm all but certain that different growing conditions make a difference in heat. Maybe that is more apparent to me because of the differences year-to-year in a garden where I have been growing things for 10 or 20 years.

Steve

i do think that different growing conditions can influence the heat (after all i can't get some peppers to be hot here, but they're hot out in the SW) but in this case i'm pretty sure that the same plants growing next to each other are exhibiting different heat levels. i'll have to ask to verify this, but i think that is the case...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
i do think that different growing conditions can influence the heat (after all i can't get some peppers to be hot here, but they're hot out in the SW) but in this case i'm pretty sure that the same plants growing next to each other are exhibiting different heat levels. i'll have to ask to verify this, but i think that is the case...
I grew Anaheim one year. It had significantly different heat levels.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
'm all but certain that different growing conditions make a difference in heat. Maybe that is more apparent to me because of the differences year-to-year in a garden where I have been growing things for 10 or 20 years.
I agree. IMO both heat & water stress seem to increase heat; cool temperatures & ample water can reduce heat. One of the peppers I grow, "Pizza" pepper, can be hot if harvested in summer. If harvested just before frost though, the peppers have little to no heat. Unless saving seeds, I plant "Pizza" a little later than the others, to take advantage of that phenomenon.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday, did a few more transplants of the creeping thyme ground cover and then watered all the gardens (not knowing if the rains forecast for today were actually going to make it or not).

today hope to get tomatoes picked and then put up and that will be all for gardening today.

tomatoes did get picked and heading off now to get them put up.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cleaning up the young Brussel sprouts and mulch the bed with chopped tomato, comfrey, zucchini leaves and other weeds.
7987.jpg

I will add more compost next week on the surface of these beds.
7986.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ran sprinklers with a quick scramble first to harvest quite a few things(!) before turning the water on.

The neighbor came out to talk as soon as he saw the pickup which was more than fine but I felt that I had to hustle to avoid the forecast wind. Didn't happen! Was nice and quiet the 3 hours, which includes moving the end sprinkler at halfway. I feel so fortunate that there have been many mornings watering without much wind.

The sky was cloudy throughout and there was the briefest of showers. The sun didn't really come out until afternoon. It looks like this neck of the woods may have dodged any lightning strike fires but the chance returns on Wednesday.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
back to warmer weather and sunshine again. it's ok, just have to return to early morning efforts and then take it easy the rest of the day.

this morning i weeded around a few gardens and it wasn't too bad, but it still did take some time to get the onion, strawberry patch, around the tomatoes and a few other weeds from the pathways. Mom asked me if she could do anything to help so i sic'd her on the front squash patches and the one out back too, but she said she wasn't going to get into them (muddy and too picky) so she just got what she could reach from the edges. that's all ok, every weed she got means one less than i have to go after.

Latest posts