What Did You Do In The Garden?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, we got up to 60. We rented a tiller and the garden is tilled. We rented a Barreto rear tine tiller and now I am not sure we even need to buy one. That was so fast. Without DS, it would not get done. DH cannot till now and getting that thing in and out of the truck, no way I could do it. I cut some lettuce and some bok-choy and see a major slug problem happening.
So happy for you that got done! Now the fun begins with planting.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I know that tillers can be expensive. I AM campaigning for a utility farm tractor, and the total on THAT + trailer for maintenance is over $20K, so $800.00 for a tiller is a lot cheaper. I use mine probably 25x/year for various things. I like to till up the stall leavings before I move them bc they do settle and it isn't digging with a barn shovel, it is lifting. I will use it for general weeding around the beds, too. My tiller is also rear tine. I have a small leather "belt" if you will that I will slip onto it when the job is long and this saves my lower arm muscles.
Funny, you'all tell me to hire out my digging, but this year MOST of my yard projects are digging with a spade!!
Also, I have taken advice from the famous US Equestrian George Morris. "Save Your Back!" He is nearly 80yo and still training and riding Hunter/Jumpers. He has said that if your back goes your riding (and gardening) goes, too. Now, everything that needs to be lifted I put in a wheelbarrow and larger loads go into my tow wagon (up to 1K pounds) and pulled with the riding mower to wherever it needs to go. I still have to lift and shoulder the 50 lb bags of feed to stores in their metal trash cans in the barn grain room, and carry the pine bedding to the stalls but I DON'T have to lift and carry EVERYTHING...EVERYWHERE.
If I had to dig and rake all of my beds every year I think I'd give up gardening altogether.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cannot even find seed for mustard greens here been looking for 3 months or more
did pick up cilantro and a rosemary already to transplant may get to that today
have cinnamon rolls raising on the stove six minutes before have to get those in pans

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
cannot even find seed for mustard greens here been looking for 3 months or more
did pick up cilantro and a rosemary already to transplant may get to that today
have cinnamon rolls raising on the stove six minutes before have to get those in pans
I have some Big Red Mustard seeds that were given to me. They are supposedly pretty plants and the leaf stem are delicious even when raw. I can send them to you if you'd like. Just pm me your address.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS and I starting putting stakes in. It got to 81 today. I have tomatoes out, but it is going to rain, so I have to put them back under the plastic. I cut my potatoes and if it does not rain a lot, I will get those planted in next day or so. I ordered asparagus and have decided to put on the edge of the garden. Build a box 4 x 10, put cardboard down and fight the weeds the best I can.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most unusual day! Spokane had a 69°f afternoon high on the 3rd, after locals hoping for their first 70° day. Then, the thermometer shot right past 80°, yesterday!

My WS station is a bit lower elevation than Spokane's airport so I can't say that we didn't have any 70's before it hit the 80's. Still, I wasn't used to it ... of course. Some of my work was in the greenhouse late in the day. Mercy!!!

Sometime overnight, there was a thunderstorm. I even woke up! For me to wake up to thunder isn't likely ... it's so humid and warm outdoors right now. Humid I've been getting used to ... warm mornings, not so much.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Mid American Gardener was talking about a hard freeze one year in northern IL on May 24th! It's COLD here, with a brisk 25mph wind after about 5 inches+ of rain. The next town over 5 miles away was under water yesterday. Ponies get to spend aNOTHER day in their stalls. Smart farmer that built the barn tipped the cement up so the water doesn't come in, even with the front door open. Guess I DON'T put away my favorite sweaters, yet!
SOOOO glad that my outside peppers and tomatoes are protected. Tomorrow I will be weeding and using ground clear.

Latest posts