What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
With the help of DS, we transplanted a rosebush that was getting covered by the blackberry bushes. We also dug up 11 blackberry canes that spread into the garden and getting things ready for the tiller. We found one to rent, but it rained again. I am hoping we can till Wednesday. Cut some lettuce yesterday and mustard greens for supper tonight. Radishes coming up.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
UUGGGGGG!!! I need to dig up blackberry canes and I am NOT looking forward to it. You will be sore for a WEEK!! :barnie
On a Lighter note, here are my transplanted black iris:
First, the bed without--

Then, the bed with--

(Using Photobucket is SUCH a disappointment, but the links work when IT works.) :rant
Note the brick on the left? I found a tree of paradise and it had rooted UNDER the cement cistern. I dug around it, poured ground clear directly on top, covered with a cottage cheese container, filled in the dirt and covered with a 1/2 brick. I'd be digging my way to CHINA trying to get out THAT tap root. (It reminded me of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when Indiana Jones pulls out his gun and ends the fight.)
Here are some of the weeds that I managed to pull out by the roots:

There is still one taproot left, but I will use a paintbrush and dab on groundclear if it grows back. I really don't care if I kill an iris bc I must have 150 of them by now!

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lettuce from the garden, @Gardening with Rabbits ?! There are a few plants from the greenhouse set out in my most protected backyard bed. I was noticing yesterday afternoon how those lettuce plants look smaller than when they were set out a couple of days ago.

There are spinach seedlings in the garden but I didn't get out there what with all the wind and sprinkles and cold. Moved some eggplants in containers instead, had the greenhouse closed up by 1pm and the heat came back on by 3!

Many plants are now in the hoophouse with an electric heater and a fan. Fortunately, it is neither freezing nor is the wind blowing but it's been 37°f since I got up just after 3 ... and, it's now 41° in the hoophouse! I must not have that heater cranked up enuf! Out I go ...

Steve
edit: loose plug at outlet. heater running but its fan can't push air 20'! within minutes of getting second fan plugged in ... 43° now! ice on vehicle in driveway.

Last edited:

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our temp are much milder than yours digit's we are at least 58 during the day 40's at night just rain to drizzle
every day so you squish when you walk in the grass.. James went out with the weed wacker yesterday
inside the container garden should have left more room close to the fence hard to get a weed wacker between
the tires and the fence... have vegies starts in the greenhouse from the bulb farm need to wait a few days to put them in the dirt outside

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had both home and work broken into and things stolen. My grandfathers cheap gold plated watch was stolen, I was heart broken thinking I would never see it again. The police called they found everything stolen from me in a pawn shop about 4 miles from my home.

Glad you got the watch back.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lettuce from the garden, @Gardening with Rabbits ?!

Yes, I planted leaf lettuce and have had it covered with plastic. I cut more tonight for supper and bok-choy. I had to wash, and check every leaf over and over. Little tiny slugs. Not sure what to do about that. I have a 4 x 10 box and have lettuce, 2 kinds of mustard greens, some radish, bok choy and a row of shallots.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, we got up to 60. We rented a tiller and the garden is tilled. We rented a Barreto rear tine tiller and now I am not sure we even need to buy one. That was so fast. Without DS, it would not get done. DH cannot till now and getting that thing in and out of the truck, no way I could do it. I cut some lettuce and some bok-choy and see a major slug problem happening.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If all you are going to use it for is till the garden, you can rent one you like, why spend the $800 for a new one? My problem was local rental had "Earthquake" brand that would bury itself in my sand pit.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Slugs can be such a problem in the hoophouse that putting down the iron phosphate slug bait has just become routine.

So far this season, there doesn't seem to be reason to do it twice. But, getting by with one thorough sprinkling may be a first. It might have to do with the fact that those beds were so saturated with melted snow that I had a good long wait (and the slugs had days of opportunity to find and eat the bait) before running a sprinkler in there. Water melts the bait.

Steve

Latest posts