What Did You Do In The Garden?

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I soaked some pole bean seed that I will probably plant tomorrow after they start to sprout. I thought I got two packages of Kentucky Wonders but one is a Kentucky Blue (?) pole bean. I've never heard of Kentucky Blue. Has anyone ever grown these?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago, I planted some seed saved by a neighbor.

My Kentucky Blue memory is that they are smoother than Kentucky Wonder, more like Blue Lake pods, and a darker green.

Good flavor ... :)

Steve

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
have to look up my beans these are gurneys but a bush been not a pole
still have not figured out why I said peas

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm growing Fortex beans for the first time this year, sent to me by a friend in NH. I'm not a bean fan at all...never eat green beans...but I've read they are one of the better tasting beans on the market today. I hope that's true and the folks who eat them here can tell me they were worth the growing.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ma would have said sit there eat the beans and shut up...
can't play very nice got woken way to soon today

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, @Beekissed , I grew that variety once about 10 years ago. I didn't care for them.

I think it was @so lucky who was gonna try them despite me relating my experience. She may have continued growing Fortex because So Lucky had some favorable comments about them.

Green beans are just about my favorite vegetable ... in general. There are several of the modern bush types that I don't care much for. Some of the heirloom types are a bit coarse. I'm okay with stringing them but I understand if they are "a road too far" for some folks (DW o_O). My appreciation for green beans is probably because they and sweet corn were my introduction to vegetable gardening.

@aftermidnight should comment. I was taken aback seeing her write how important green beans are to her and realizing that it wasn't so much a dry bean attraction.

Steve
who got nearly all the onion seedlings into the garden, yesterday. annnd, the escarole :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ma would have said sit there eat the beans and shut up...
can't play very nice got woken way to soon today

Yeah...that's what I got while growing up. :) Still can't stand them, though I wish I did...good, nutritious food but they make me gag like crazy. I got a belting if I didn't eat beans while young and, if I puked them up, I was threatened to have to eat the puke.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' Beans, you don't want to get me going on beans :). I only grow heirloom varieties now, never grown for dry beans just snaps and now full beans and a few shellies. Full beans, these are beans you let the beans swell in the pods before you pick them, Tennessee Cutshorts for one. Yes you have to string them, but the pods are still tender, as most of the heirloom varieties from down south are, I string before they go in the steamer, some fall apart but not all. Shellies, picked just before the dried stage, shelled and steamed.

Grandma Nellie's Yellow Mushroom, a wax pole bean that does have a slight mushroom flavor is quite tasty but my favorite pole wax bean so far has been Barksdale a family heirloom of a family heirloom in Oklahoma for me it is so tender and has a buttery texture if that makes any sense. Until I started growing these wax beans were not a favorite of mine.
Now on the other hand Tobacco Worm which many bean aficionados hold all other beans up to for flavor was a little too beany for me at first but I'm slowly warming up to them :)

Not really an heirloom but I now grow a runner bean bred by a fellow in Wales, took him years to develop. The first purple podded runner bean in existence, his only stipulation is that they are not to be sold commercially and all he asks is to be reimbursed for postage. Passing along amongst other gardeners is fine, he wants them kept in the public domain. This bean is stringless and the pods are tender with a sweetness I have never found in other runners (Phaseolus coccineus). Being from an English background I grew up eating runner beans because that's the only bean my family grew.

Here's a link to this bean if anyone is interested...
http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/aeronpurplestar/

I have my favorite place to shop this side of the pond for a new to me heirloom variety of beans and this gal never disappoints, very reasonable prices and the pkt. sizes are more than enough for my needs, she encourages you to save and share, help keep them in circulation. I hope this is allowed http://www.sampleseeds.com/ if not I'll take 20 lashes with a wet noodle in penance:(.

Annette

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
eewwww naw we got a pass if it was that bad, worse for me canned chow main still cannot eat
the stuff gag me... Ma made more than Dad she was a accountant he was a postman both old school
but when it came to us we got "I'm not a short order cook speech eat it or go hungry" but then Dad would sneak me a peanut butter
sandwich