What Did You Do In The Garden?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've always just planted half runners and everyone likes them just fine. If these Fortex are crap, I'll just sow some half runners for a second bean crop.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
As kids we where never forced to eat food we did not like. But mom's kitchen was not a restaurant . Another don't eat it go hungry. But living in city there was a deli on corner so never went hungry.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soaked okra seeds. They swelled and before I could get them into garden, weather turned cold and rained. So I put them in individual 4 packs. I will have 60+ seedlings to transplant. I've never started them that way before. I hav transplanted seedlings in garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have my favorite place to shop this side of the pond for a new to me heirloom variety of beans and this gal never disappoints, very reasonable prices and the pkt. sizes are more than enough for my needs, she encourages you to save and share, help keep them in circulation. I hope this is allowed http://www.sampleseeds.com/ if not I'll take 20 lashes with a wet noodle in penance:(.

Annette
Nifty seems very tolerant of us talking about commercial outfits and Remi and Sample Seeds should get special attention :). She is a very nice lady and shared tomato seeds with me back before Sample began operations.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't do anything in mine, but planted some onions and sunflowers in my son's garden. Finished out his harbor over the garden gate. Now I'm just waiting on rain....we really, really need some rain. :pop

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soaked okra seeds. They swelled and before I could get them into garden, weather turned cold and rained. So I put them in individual 4 packs. I will have 60+ seedlings to transplant. I've never started them that way before. I hav transplanted seedlings in garden.
Let us know how it pans out, good luck

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a little time tonight to walk around the garden. It is really wet with standing water in places yuck. Even with the cold weather and rain I saw onions coming up and also radishes, the broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage have not really grown but are standing up. The head lettuce is trying to stand up also . The peas are about 8" tall, the beans and carrots have not sprouted yet. Oh and the tomatoes are a loss they got frost bit on Monday am, lucky we have a lot of extras to replace them with. Even the Shoshone tomatoes got frost bite I was hoping they were a little tougher than the others but nope they are not. things are not to bad in the garden even with the unfortunate weather pattern this fall, winter, spring and it looks like it might start drying out and warming up soon :fl.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This will be about a week later to plant tomatoes at anytime in recent years. I plan on carrying them out, tucking them into the neighbor's barn, and getting the plants in the ground Sunday or Monday.

Of course, I have had years, covering them with buckets because of frost.

Bloody Butcher is about the earliest of the indeterminates to ripen fruit. It also seems to be the most cold-sensitive variety I have grown. Lightning fast development in cool conditions - gets burned or dies if it's too cool!

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As kids we where never forced to eat food we did not like. But mom's kitchen was not a restaurant . Another don't eat it go hungry. But living in city there was a deli on corner so never went hungry.

We had to eat everything on our plate. My grandmother, who lived with us (and was generally sweet) would say, "eat it, or I'll shove it up your nose!" And strangely, when we were very young, the children ate at the kitchen table, while the adults ate in the dining room. I would try to hide my unwanted lamb chop behind the radio, but the missing bone on my plate was always a dead give-away.

Back on topic: I hope to put in carrots and beets today (a little late) and tomatoes in the hoop house tomorrow (a little early).

Frost is expected tonight, but the rest of the week looks okay. Memorial Day weekend is normally when I plant all of the frost-sensitive things.