What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got two cedars in the ground that I bought on clearance last summer. They're just little guys, but I'm so looking forward to seeing them fill out. :)
I also got two shrubs in that overwintered in their pots (yay!)

I chicken proofed the blueberry enclosure today and got the old soaker hoses in place, then discovered all the breaks in them when I turned them on for a test. Soaker hoses are on the shopping list now.
Dh got the kids garden spot prepared Saturday, and this morning I got the cattle panels and posts delivered for fencing it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I moved the mammoth rhubarb to a new spot Tuesday afternoon. It was so big I got about 4 big starts out of it, each one just a little smaller than a 5 gallon bucket lid. I replanted two and heeled the others into my leaf mold pile in case a neighbor wants one. I know I could have picked a better time to transplant,as there was already a lot of growth going on, but sometimes you just gotta do stuff when you are burning up to get it done.

I also dug up and moved some of the Jerusalem artichoke. There will be tons coming up from it's former clump, but I will just pull those out. It's not something I use, but I do enjoy the flowers.

We are fencing that front garden area and the rhubarb and JA were right in the fence line.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My onion seedlings are getting planted out today, they finally put on some healthy looking growth in the last two weeks, so after cutting them back a bit in they go, Planted some garden cress the other day, first time I've tried growing this. Time to get some more beans started and pot on the tomatoes again, they won't be going out in the garden for another month.
Annette

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spouse and I got our fourth and fifth raised beds cleaned out today. After Son stopped by to run interference we managed to work rather well together -- Spouse and I. To keep spouse busy, son added two bags of peat moss to each bed and had Dad spread it out. Then he dug holes in each bed so Dad could rake it smooth again and a third time. By then the soil/peat were well incorporated and Spouse was tired...a good thing.

Spouse wants so much to help and needs to feel useful. I just wish he would listen to me and do what I want done rather than what he thinks he would want done if he were me.

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I potted the Gerbera Daisies my daughter and I propagated last Winter, hoping getting them out into the sun will encourage them to grow a little faster. They're a bit slow growing and puny so far. I also potted the Wave petunias from last Summer I overwintered under a pile of leaves (lucky right? haha). I weeded around my little California Poppies I planted in my beds, they're not growing as well as I had hoped...A few are growing robustly, but some are still tiny and weak. Growing anything in our yard is so difficult. We're a straight slope down to the lake and keeping topsoil is a battle with erosion. Not to mention moles, armadillos and chipmunks digging everywhere... Not many plants will grow in the natural sandstone around here, but I'm not the quitting type. ;)

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Spouse and I got our fourth and fifth raised beds cleaned out today. After Son stopped by to run interference we managed to work rather well together -- Spouse and I. To keep spouse busy, son added two bags of peat moss to each bed and had Dad spread it out. Then he dug holes in each bed so Dad could rake it smooth again and a third time. By then the soil/peat were well incorporated and Spouse was tired...a good thing.

Spouse wants so much to help and needs to feel useful. I just wish he would listen to me and do what I want done rather than what he thinks he would want done if he were me.

I'm so glad that gradually improves in your garden!
I'll wait for the sequel to "The Green Chronicle Smart Red."

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to replant a whole tray of peppers....had them out on the porch railing, soaking up this sun, but an evil broody hen who has a nest on the porch knocked them off the railing, dumping most of the soil from the cells. I'd wring her neck if it made any sense! :smack

Anyhoo, the peppers were not germinating well anyway, so this gave me a chance to replant and hope for the best. It's likely I'll be buying pepper sets again this year but I really had hoped to grow all my own seedlings this year. Time will tell if they will actually do anything.

I'm loving this warm sunny day....the seedlings really needed it, but it really speeds my need to get this hive build done and baited...honey bees everywhere on little spring blossoms! Hope to have a hive ready if they choose to swarm from their own hive this month.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Beekissed What a pity! My cat also did it with the strawberry seedlings.
m1803.gif
ireful.gif

Latest posts