What Did You Do In The Garden?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a fine crop of rye and other winter grass and weeds on the garden. Do yesterday I turned the Sheep in for an hour. Today I’ll give them a little longer, don’t want them to bloat. We are about ready to till it up but I didn’t want to till the grass under, grazing the sheep for short periods is getting them ready to turn out on the pastures.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Hauled out a branch from a pine tree north of the house that came down from the snow last Thursday, to the pile in the north pasture . Tractor did great, but the hydraulic lifts seemed sluggish. Wondering if maybe it was the -20 degree F wind chills?
Today, cold and rainy. About to go out to spot clean stalls. Horses will be more than ready to come in tonight.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spent 25 minutes in the garden after going to Joann's walking all over "saving" $81.47. I moved debris out of the garden and going to start another compost pile. I dug down in the pile and it composted down really good, so wheelbarrowed a couple loads into the garden area that has been cleared off. I have old plants and a lot of old apples that fell off the apple tree. I did not get to do my fall cleanup since I started having all my trouble in October, so basically I am doing fall cleanup.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dug 2 buckets of compost out of the stealth pit under the chicken coop deck. Replaced them with 3 buckets of kitchen scraps. They were well thawed.

The quality of the compost is amazing. At this time of year, often I wouldn't have been able to dig through the frozen material on top. In the garden, I have buried plants after first fall frost under 8" of soil. Returning about April Fool's Day only to discover that some of it is still green!

Bigger News is receiving 3 seed orders, today. It took an hour to sort things out. Two more orders have shipped - maybe they will be here tomorrow!

:D Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spent 20 minutes in the garden raking and cleaning old stuff out and bringing in compost from the bin. I could have the whole garden cleared and compost spread by planting time if I keep this up.

I still have a foot of snow on my garden.
But I have started a little spring cleanup at one of my jobs in Hayden. No snow there! I haven't gardened in February for a very long time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
But I have started a little spring cleanup at one of my jobs in Hayden. No snow there! I haven't gardened in February for a very long time.

:)

the sun is out and the cardinals are calling. yes, spring is coming. not that it won't be cold for a while longer (i hope). it is still way too early to have trees budding out...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

The west end of the garden is thawed and at the edge of the garden the rhubarb is coming up. The east end still little spots of ice and piles of old plants I had put there last fall are frozen to the ground. This morning the whole ground is frosted and white and only 20 degrees. Supposed to be 42. I have a picture of Feb. 27, 2019 and there is more than a foot of snow. This year is strange.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dug 2 buckets of compost out of the stealth pit under the chicken coop deck. Replaced them with 3 buckets of kitchen scraps. They were well thawed.

The quality of the compost is amazing. At this time of year, often I wouldn't have been able to dig through the frozen material on top. In the garden, I have buried plants after first fall frost under 8" of soil. Returning about April Fool's Day only to discover that some of it is still green!

Bigger News is receiving 3 seed orders, today. It took an hour to sort things out. Two more orders have shipped - maybe they will be here tomorrow!

:D Steve

I think all the rain and warmer weather helped my compost. I did not really think there would be anything ready. One of the rabbits is 9 years old and she is getting really picky what she eats and I have been finding green grass in small amounts and she eats the old blackberry leaves still green on the branches. The old kale and collard plants still have green leaves and I have been giving the rabbits a little bit of kale in the morning. Most of the old plants are rotten and I am pulling.

Latest posts