What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice......

As your u already know, corn will straighten up. May gooseneck but won’t hurt production. Curious what the ears will look like as thick as you have it. Assume you feed it heavy?

If I did beans that thick, I’d have nothing but white mold.

i don't get white mold in uniform plantings (where the plants will die back at about the same time). when i do get white mold it is when i have mixed plots of beans where some of the plants finish earlier than the others and i don't notice them hiding under the others and then they'll start getting the white mold which will then spread to the surrounding stems of the green/actively growing plants. if i pull all the plants that are mostly done out of a patch i won't get any white mold.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes feeding the corn heavy. It's actually a bit thinner than I had it last year in a raised bed. Still playing with spacing.

Beans are same spacing as last year and it worked. You may not notice but no mulch in there. That should keep it a bit drier.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is a new season. What did you do in the garden today, yesterday, last week :)?

Two backyard beds have been covered with the temporary hoop house. Seed for Asian greens and escarole has been sown; bok choy transplants have gone in. The flower beds around the house have been cleaned up.

I have now begun in the little veggie garden by leveling a few beds cultivated last year, fertilizing, and planting some seed potatoes, onion sets and pea seed.

What did you do in your gardens :)?

Steve
Monitoring of the health of all plants and greenscapes, watering and feeding plants, trimming of trees and shrubs, fertilizing and mowing lawns, weeding gardens and keeping clear of waste and litter green spaces and walkways.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just did a quick skim (for about 2hrs) of all of the gardens inside the fence and also a small garden outside the fence. that pretty much means i'm ready for planting at any time during the next eight to ten weeks as i can get to it and the soil temperature gets warm enough. i do have some areas to finish weeding but they are outside the fenced gardens so they are not as much of a priority.

i don't think i've been this far ahead for planting for some years - it is a nice spot to be in so i can get some other projects worked on.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd do a before and after. A strong wind came through a couple of days ago and laid my corn down. That's the first photo.

Corn 4-1 Before.jpg

I did not touch it, let nature take care of it. I did not make it worse. Here's the photo from today. to days later. As you can see, it is fine. It will make corn.
Corn 4-3 After.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I ripped the last of my "winter" garden out. I grew a lot off greens this winter/spring but as the days warmed up they dropped out, one by one. They just could not handle the heat. My mustard greens produced really well but turned brown. Next to go was chard, caterpillars took over. My collards started changing color and started tasting strong. Out they came. Then the kale developed a bad case of caterpillars. So they came out today. I now have some dried beans planted there. We got a lot of meals off of these five kale plants.

Wormy Kale.jpg

It's my first year of winter growing down here, started the first week of October. Now I can plan next year. I will not plant Brussels sprouts, did not do well at all. Lettuce did OK but really didn't last long and I had plenty of other greens so I probably won't bother. I was disappointed in the carrots. I planted Danvers that are supposed to grow 6" to 8" long. In loose sandy soil they grew less than 1". I probably won't bother.

I will do broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage for transplants and beets from seeds. I'll also do chard, kale, collards, and mustard greens. I can get all that into two of my raised beds and let the other six rest.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Lovely!!!
I should have used my phone. Drove to a signing yesterday. SOMEBODY with a postage stamp yard had made ALL of it into a garden. This guy had bean teepees, fencing and most of the prep, including a 4 ft pile of compost by his driveway. He would probably drool at My space. I feel very blessed AND blessed with out online community here!!! :love:love:love

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Trimmed the blackberries. DS rebuilt the compost bin with some pallets and I am putting old plants from the garden in there and just cleaning up still.
Reading comprehension is a good thing. First time I read it, thought I read cleaning up THE still. Need more coffee....

Latest posts