What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
YIKES, I have not visited this page in ages, Everyone has been busy :) We ( I mean DH) have/has picked bags full of pea! We have spent many hours shelling them. Today I put 2 GALLONS of them in the freezer to enjoy this winter. And all of a sudden the zucchini have started to produce. Especially the yellow. I am never going to be able to use it all or keep up! We can hardly keep ahead of the weeds. We are Hot in the upper 80's tp lower 90's and VERY Humid. Ugh. We NEED rain too.

we picked up the first bits of rain today in the past three weeks or so. been so hot and dry here. hoping the storm i see now will get to us but cannot count on it until i see the rain hit the ground.

i get up early and get out early, that's the only way i'm getting any gardening done these days.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
we picked up the first bits of rain today in the past three weeks or so. been so hot and dry here. hoping the storm i see now will get to us but cannot count on it until i see the rain hit the ground.

i get up early and get out early, that's the only way i'm getting any gardening done these days.
We just got a 3 minute shower. I timed it! Not enough to dampen under the tree

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a couple quick downpours in the rural garden yesterday, which finally softened the soil to the point where we could begin weeding. I pounded T-posts & mounted cross bars for several more rows of trellis frames, still have 3 rows left to do - then DW & I will run the strings. I also started putting up the 6 PVC isolation cages for the peppers, but won't be able to cover them until the area within has been weeded & covered with weed barrier.

So far, sweet corn, gherkins, soybeans, and cowpeas are healthy & growing rapidly in spite of the weed pressure. The watermelon is healthy too, but behind where it should be this late in the season.
Weeds are the biggest obstacle this year, with at least one per square inch - for 5664 square feet. :ep In some areas, the soil is no longer visible. We are rapidly running out of time to control them before they seed, or grow to the point where removing them will damage the vegetables. I'm thinking about purchasing a weed burner, if I can find one, to clear the larger areas.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Its been raining here for days, I'm bored.
I have spent alot of time running out with the measuring tape to check things out, then run inside again to work on my plan for the greenhouse. I'm not calling it a glasshouse anymore cos it doesnt have any.

I think I have it worked out so it will fit, not be too obtrusive- its a couple of feet higher at the pitch than is strictly legal here, but where its going, it wont be noticeable from any of the neighbours...not that they would really care anyway.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we finally picked up a few drops of rain more than sprinkles. a few times. figures it happened the first time when i ran into town to visit the library and pick up some DVDs for Mom to watch this weekend. they're not open Fridays or through the weekend so i had to go before they closed today.

on the way back home it started raining and i surely expected it would be just a local shower to the town and not out here in the country, but it did actually come through here too. nice to have some rain hit the ground enough to wet it. :)

@Trish Stretton we don't use the B-word around here (bored). as a kid if we used that word we'd get put to work on something so we learned how to find things to do or to go outside and play or whatever... i did a lot of reading. i still do... and i always have projects to work on here inside that need to be done. my room can always use cleaning a bit here or there so at the least i can do that. do i? well not too often. i don't want to cause Mom to go into shock. heeheehee...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not mine but the aphids are getting a good start on them so I'm glad that those big leaves aren't rolling up and protecting them.

We continue to cut broccoli heads and pick snow and snap peas!

Steve

Well, I might have spoke too soon. I was just out there and thinking the cabbage really is not rolled up any bigger and I am seeing holes in the leaves and they just do not look that healthy.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your garden progress sounds like mine! I replanted cucumbers no less than 4 times. Even started some inside, planted them out, and had to replant those as well! Here I think it was a combination of cold wet weather, followed by bird thieves eating off tender sprouts. Yesterday I noticed some of them are getting a second true leaf. Finally!

I have never had trouble with cucumbers before. I know they do not like the cold. I am hoping my new ones do better, and I also noticed a second true leaf today on the couple of plants I do have.

Latest posts