What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tuesday, finished up weeding the north garden and got some of the areas reshaped a bit to retain any rains that might come along. i also transplanted a few chunks of the creeping thyme and watered them in well even if it is a horrible time to be doing such things i just really need to get some of those bare dirt edges started on growing some cover to keep the dirt in place instead of running down slope. picked some more peas that were mostly ready.

Wednesday, made sure all the crops got some water on them today. picked a few JBs off the beans. will have to check tomorrow to make sure the melons, pole beans, squash and cucumbers are heading in the right directions. in a few cases i think they're already through the fence or climbing here or there on the wrong things. plant herding. :) :) :) JBs only have been after certain plants in the gardens so as the JBs congregate on those plants it makes it easier to grab those and smush 'em with a small rock. i've decided this method may be a bit messy, but you know for sure when you've done it the bugs are done for. the drowning in water method isn't as reliable as quickly and Mom doesn't like seeing the container of drowning bugs sitting around some place.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled my garlic up and it looks good and picked some peas for supper.

yay! garlic here is ready to get lifted now too. i would have liked to have done that today (Wed), but we had to run errands instead.

the earliest peas here are harvested, the later ones are still green. i'm not sure what is buried underneath there in that patch where i might have missed some that are done already. will have to look again this week as the patch is now half finished and at least those plants already done are completely harvested and the peas are drying down here inside. *whew* glad i did that Tues evening. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
To me , they taste earthy, but sweet and have a soft texture. I love them roasted, steamed, in mash with potatoes and pumpkin, they are great in casseroles, go well with melted butter, meat gravey......Mmmmm

someone described them to me as a really wimpy carrot flavor, but i've not had them myself to know how i would describe that.

can you compare the flavor to anything else?

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday I got a load of brambles out, not from the roots as they are growing from under next doors fence, it was a relief to get them out. Just leaving a few at the top of the garden for the fruits that are starting to come through, will make a nice crumble with those, plus the ones I will be foraging around my area.
Pulled out a lot of ivy that has grown back so my recycling bin is almost half full. It feels good now that job has been done. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm missing some deadlines.

The first week of July, I have often planted summer squash anticipating the need to pull zucchini in August because of powdery mildew. However, I'm not a summer squash fan and in 3 out of 4 years, there is no need to pull the early plants. Then, there is way more zucchini than I know what to do with in September!

Mid July, plant a 2nd crop of bush beans. I'd better not go another 10 days before doing that. Certainly not 2 weeks ... But, the usual place for that sowing is where the peas are. They are late - we have just had some of the shell peas. The other are still available.

The late summer squash has usually fit well into the early cabbage. They may need to coexist for a week or two but that seems to work. I've also had the squash in the middle of the onion bed. Selective harvesting for green onions frees up space for them.

I can't see planting bean seed in the onions but maybe I can fit them into the cabbage. The late cabbage is there too and will have to be left alone ... thinking out loud here ...

Steve
off to pick peas, soon

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't do much today. Woke up early to hand-pollinate more flowers on the Tromboncino; if successful, this makes 7 done. One more & that task will be finished... then we can eat any more that form. We put up two pepper isolation cages in the rural garden & mulched the bitter melon & two pole beans, so we are making progress there, albeit slowly.

Latest posts