What Did You Do In The Garden?

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think those are stem shoots. Mine started growing vert quickly. I just put it in a prolix formula.
Would it be a good thing to add perlite to add ph and drainage if I use organic compost
So want to pot these today

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think those are stem shoots. Mine started growing vert quickly. I just put it in a prolix formula.
I don't have this right now, so thinking a mix of organic compost sand maybe wormery spoil and perlite

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would it be a good thing to add perlite to add ph and drainage if I use organic compost
So want to pot these today

perlite won't do much of anything for pH, it's fairly inert and has no nutrients. it is primarily used to make potting soils lighter and to improve drainage (out in the garden it will largely wash away or blow away).

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Vermiculite is good for pots because I think its water holding and air holding space is really good. Perlite is probably closer to a glass foam than a mineral substitute. It holds air and water, not to a charcoal degree but it loosens up the mix.

Today I did nothing. Well not exactly true, we needed an new excuse to grill veggies so I assemble a new grill.
IMG_20200920_174330_resize_28.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went back out to pick peppers today, and thought I'd post something interesting. I've mentioned the great amount of diversity in the PI 315008 seed I was sent, which I'm trying to stabilize for red color, large size, the "red lantern" shape, short DTM, and a decent yield. This plant didn't make the cut, due to small fruit size... and the plant itself is diminutive, only 6" tall.
20200920_133953.jpg

But good things sometimes come in small packages. ;)
20200920_134240.jpg

PI 315008, dwarf segregation - there are 50+ peppers on this one plant, all ripe!

The first generation of PI 315008 had some plants with orange, Habanero-type peppers... they were super hot, but thin walled, dry, and IMO low on flavor. I selected for the red, and the orange appears to have been eliminated in the second generation (although it may still be present as a recessive). Even selected to red only, there is still an incredible amount of diversity in this cultivar, to the point where I think it could be taken in many different directions by the simple act of selection. This particular plant could have easily succeeded where summers are even shorter than mine, and the yield for such a small plant is incredible. I'd really like to get seed for PI 315008 - with or without my chosen selection - into as many hands as possible. I think hot pepper fans could have a lot of fun with this.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
perlite won't do much of anything for pH, it's fairly inert and has no nutrients. it is primarily used to make potting soils lighter and to improve drainage (out in the garden it will largely wash away or blow away).
It's to go into a pot, it will get very cold here a d need to keep it on a warm and sunny spot ;)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Vermiculite is good for pots because I think its water holding and air holding space is really good. Perlite is probably closer to a glass foam than a mineral substitute. It holds air and water, not to a charcoal degree but it loosens up the mix.

Today I did nothing. Well not exactly true, we needed an new excuse to grill veggies so I assemble a new grill.View attachment 37088
So making I should add charcoal to this pot. Hmm, decisions decisions.

The grill looks good, what vegetables did you put on it?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So making I should add charcoal to this pot. Hmm, decisions decisions.

The grill looks good, what vegetables did you put on it?
Corn in the shucks for the first run. Horticultural grit is common and useful for potting. Charcoal is a bit of a pain and best in ground. I use what the farmers co-op sells, like bagged vermiculite. The bags are big but very light.

Latest posts