What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I covered some beds with a fabric because we may get a a frost over the weekend. We have had 2 days of rain and all the rye I showed is growing and it's beautiful!
I had some onions that were sprouting so I stuck them in a cold frame. Does anyone know if they will survive the winter?
Sure, the onions will survive where You live, not at my house.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So do you believe that these putrid slugs have transpired from that same Box? I could throttle Pandora :somad ;)
When my daughter was 4, I showed how slugs melt when you pour salt on them. She was always taking the salt shaker outside, hunting slugs. Only thing was, she touched the salt shaker to the slugs and it was gross. :sick

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
as a kid if you're not making a mess it must not be very fun, then you get to be a responsible adult for a while and clean up messes (even if you make some yourself) and then when you get older again you're allowed to make some messes again and let someone else clean them up...

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh temperate sage and spices, thank you for your time spent marinating upon my pork shoulder. I enjoyed growing with you and I will enjoy dining with you.
PXL_20201114_041924021_compress37.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the last of the gardens was finished up the other day for getting ready for winter so now all that remains to be worked on are two projects i started. the weather has been colder overnight and frosty at times, so you know what is coming... rained twice this week so it may be too muddy to work on one project that i need to get some roots of flowers and some grasses out of a garden which will involve digging in clayish soil and trying to break apart the clods to get all those roots out. that can be a lot of work so i don't expect to get it all done in a single day even in the best of times. i may not finish it all until spring. same with the other project i started, just moving what is left of some plastic edging and weeding along that edge. i'm about 3/4 done there so if i can't work on the digging project today i can work on that one instead.

last fall we had a snow storm pretty early so some gardens never were put up or ready for winter and i had to finish them up in the spring. i have a few small things i can do around here, there's always something, but it is very nice to see things cleaned up and ready for winter. plus we have the bigger projects finished so those aren't hanging over me and i won't have too look at them all winter either. :) bonus! :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When my daughter was 4, I showed how slugs melt when you pour salt on them. She was always taking the salt shaker outside, hunting slugs. Only thing was, she touched the salt shaker to the slugs and it was gross. :sick
I just throw them in a bucket of water, and wash around the coup with salted water. I hate the slimy things :confused:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My baby lavender is doing pretty well she is grown from a cutting from the mother plant.

Sadly or not I'm getting these mushrooms looking fungal growths. I ripped a few out and here is the one remaining, are these edible if they are I will be happy about it.
20201114_140744.jpg
20201114_140750.jpg

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
as a kid if you're not making a mess it must not be very fun, then you get to be a responsible adult for a while and clean up messes (even if you make some yourself) and then when you get older again you're allowed to make some messes again and let someone else clean them up...
No one clears up my mess :old

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Raked up some big piles of leaves today. DH helped me shred them when he got home. I have six 39 gallon bags of shredded leaves to put on the garden once it's all cleaned out. Still tons more to do once they all fall.

Latest posts