What Did You Do In The Garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds more like Arkansas than down here. I don't remember that Louisiana post. The way I managed was to use cardboard boxes and cover them with mulch, usually wheat straw. That was mostly between rows. On the permanent path along the edge I used landscaping material and mulch, mainly wheat straw. When the wheat straw broke down I'd pull up the landscaping cloth to collect that stuff and use it as a mulch/compost in the garden.

It sounds like you are only looking for a few months. That bedliner should work but if gets slick you might want to cover it with mulch to give better traction. Be careful what kind of mulch. Dried leaves on that bedliner may be even slicker, especially when they are wet. By the time you are ready to pull it up you have some seasoned mulch.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or course they won't be fresh, fresh ... but, I didn't even know that I liked collards until I had it during the winter :).

No he won't. I'll be planting my winter garden in a few days. Imagine fresh cauliflower, cabbage, collard greens, and kale for Christmas.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it was dry enough to do some dirt moving so i worked on the North garden and when i got tired of digging i'd switch out to transplanting more Creeping Thyme. i still have a lot of bare spots to fill in around the edges, but it is coming along - maybe two or three more years and i'll have the edges filled in. :)

pictures sometime, i have some from the last time i was moving more thyme but now i've been moving more dirt and thyme so i think i'll wait on posting them until i get the dirt moving done.

that said it looks a lot nicer now than it did a few weeks ago. after this next round of rains gets by us and i can get out there again perhaps i can finish it up enough to take pics. the edges need to be weeded where i don't have any cover growing and they look kinda ratty now, but it's been about two months since i've done much at all with them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
beautiful day out there today and so more digging in the North garden and more transplanting of thyme. i only have the one edge to finish up weeding now and i won't be moving any more thyme so i did get pictures when i was done today. i had to go back out and take more pictures because i didn't like the first round. :) so i hope i'll get them posted sometime the next few days. not tonight, i'm tired and busy (i feel a nap coming on is more like it :) )...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
it was dry enough to do some dirt moving so i worked on the North garden and when i got tired of digging i'd switch out to transplanting more Creeping Thyme. i still have a lot of bare spots to fill in around the edges, but it is coming along - maybe two or three more years and i'll have the edges filled in. :)

pictures sometime, i have some from the last time i was moving more thyme but now i've been moving more dirt and thyme so i think i'll wait on posting them until i get the dirt moving done.

that said it looks a lot nicer now than it did a few weeks ago. after this next round of rains gets by us and i can get out there again perhaps i can finish it up enough to take pics. the edges need to be weeded where i don't have any cover growing and they look kinda ratty now, but it's been about two months since i've done much at all with them.
I would love to see pictures of the thyme. You are using it for a border?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS and I took the fences down and I pulled plants and raked and I spread manure on my box where I plant lettuce. I should be able to just turn dirt and plant next spring in that spot. I am hoping he will put some holes in the bottom of these industrial barrels I got from my neighbor and I can put some of these plants and rabbit manure, leaves and cow manure. By looking at the weather I have all next week to work outside and maybe the next before it starts raining.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits and @ninnymary yes, used as a border planting, erosion and weed control also because it is a low growing plant that smells great when i weed it plus it handles light traffic ok (i walk on it, the deer do some damage but i just fill in the holes and it eventually fills them back in) and too the flowers are bright purple. :) we always like purples.

main details of the north garden and plenty of pictures of the thyme too:

best picture of the thyme that i like the most:

DSC_20200618_075507-0400_476_Bloom_Thyme_thm.jpg

i have another few patches of thyme around and we have other kinds of thyme too, but i want a more uniform planting for this garden's edges so i'm not transplanting those.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dug dahlias here at home. It looks like dry/hot isn't very good for root development ...

Dug out some ground to bury dahlias stems and old tubers. Dug out part of a stealth compost pit. Oh, my aching back!

Almost had to roll the 4 big pots that the backyard tomatoes lived in, over to the compost. That's done and the 5 pots for coleus and petunias were also emptied. The front yard is almost cleaned up enough to let any extra work wait for 2022.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
got that last edge of the North Garden weeded and reshaped a bit and did raid the other patch of Creeping Thyme to get it out of the pathway and transplanted it. i'm not sure it is the same kind as the other edges and i'll have to keep an eye on it and trim it to get it to fill in better, but at least it has been moved and watered in.

beautiful day outside. it felt so good to be doing something in the sun and breeze. not too hot.

the rest of my work for the next few weeks will be to put all the gardens up for the winter. as many as i can get done. also need to figure out where to plant some garlic. and i think there might be some dry beans to check out to see if there are any not spoiled by the rains, but there's not much left out there now.

Latest posts