What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Then my neighbour and I weeded both hoop houses at their community garden, which went really fast. Good thing we got it done though as both the chickweed and lamium plants were massive and in full bloom.

yes, get them before they can drop all those seeds!

Our last task was removing weeds and leaf debris from a large bed of bearded iris. I love these showy flowers, but weeding around the exposed rhizomes is never much fun. Clearly gardening season has arrived! 🌿

hahaha! :) lucky you! we have some fresh snow on the ground that may stick around for a while yet. we'll see...

as for weeding around iris rhizomes, i've done my share of that, the worst weed is one call sowthistle which has roots which run and look similar to the irises so once it gets in there it is almost impossible to remove completely without taking up all the irises and inspecting each rhizome for intertwined roots of the sowthistle.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clearly gardening season has arrived! 🌿
Onion seed went into a flat of soil in the greenhouse last week. It has been in the low teens since (-11°C). Today, it was snowing at 5:30AM and every moment since. (The snow is so light and the air temperature is only right at freezing so ... it amounts to almost nothin', honestly ;).)

It's hard to imagine working in the garden. STILL. It will be time to start some pepper seeds by the end of the WEEK!

:) Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to get our tomatoes started too. The jalapeno & sweet bell peppers were started a couple of weeks ago.
I'm running out of room under lights, but I suppose that peppers take up the least amount of space of any vegetable given their slow growth habit. So I had better get some more peppers seeds started, and then I can try to figure out where to put them once they are up and growing. Many peppers take one heck of a long time to even produce a small plant. These Czech Blacks were started on January 13th, and they are still just 2" tall. It's likely time to bump them up; then they will really take off growing. 🪴

Attachments

• IMG_20240219_082024466.jpg
    IMG_20240219_082024466.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 19

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Am I the Only one here who Promises to replace wood in a raised bed THIS YEAR, then I change my mind, let it go
ONE
MORE
YEAR?
One bed is starting to look like an abandoned graveyard!
+1

I decided to do both in parallel. Some new ones arrived, but I don't have time to apply protection paint yet. We still have a lot of rain. However, we already removed some very consumed ones. For those look not that bad yet, I added the new liners and hoped that we can use it for another one to two years.

Anyway, this year I will also try to grow some crops directly on the ground, without raised bed. Let's see.

Latest posts