What did YOU do in your garden today :P

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ava and I planted 2 flats of flowers today -- those I had started indoors back in March. They should have been out almost a month sooner, but I had to prioritize the garden veggies first. It has rained constantly the past 3 weeks. It's been hard waiting for the dirt to dry out enough in between.

We planted: snapdragons, sweet williams, zinnias, rudbekia and baptisia in the sunny bed, then mulched and weeded the whole thing. And a dozen caladiums in the front shady bed. Also 2 more tomatoes and 4 mild banana peppers in the front raised bed. I have a lot of room left in there and lots of options what to plant. A second planting of Marshall's Powder Stars and BlueJays Star 2056's will go in there, but still lots of room...

A few homeless grape vines and 2 elderberry bushes that have been lingering in containers, 2 lantanas and 2 dinner plate dahlias and I can pretty much say I'm DONE. Nothing else is begging me to plant it before it dies. Oh, and 10 lbs of potatoes I never got around to. I don't know if they're any good anymore though.

The hot part of the day we stayed inside and made a big paper mache flower pinata for Ava's 7th birthday party. I'll post a pic if it turns out well. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll cover the last two days. Sunday is my volunteer day, my wife and I sort, price, and shelve books at a charity thrift shop. I still managed to plant a 15' row of Jeminez pole beans I grew for Russ last year. I want to see how they do as green beans. Last year was all about growing seeds for Russ and me. This year is about seeing how I like to eat them. I also transplanted about 20 cilantro plants into an intensive bed. I sowed a small bed with seeds this spring and got all kinds of sprouts. My intent is to dry some cilantro but mainly let it go to seed. Cilantro seeds are known as coriander. If they do any good I should get a lot of coriander. And I put some dill weed in the dehydrator.

Today I took the dill weed out of the dehydrator and filled it with a lot of oregano. I picked and put 9 cups of green peas in the freezer. Doesn't sound like it but today was longer than yesterday.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 I grow it every year but this is the first year I'm trying for coriander. I always save my own seed anyway. I sometimes get volunteers but by saving the seeds I don't get many cilantro volunteers.

So far this year I've transplanted two dill, two basil, three marigold, and one potato volunteers. I spotted another basil volunteer a couple of days ago. It needs to be moved too when it grows a bit bigger.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cut some garlic scapes and weeded around the area. There was still more cilantro in that area so I cut more and some more sage. I have 5 drawers of sage and 4 drawers of cilantro in the dehydrator. DH built another compost bin and another one is smoking. DS and I changed the rabbit boxes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Basil volunteers. What a strange concept.

I had a pretty good afternoon in the garden. Moved the stack of stakes out there. Built some teepees for the pole beans. The volunteer Cascade Giant needed them 10 days ago but the other beans have just emerged.

I know that the subject of bean volunteers has been discussed in the bean thread. I had never seen a volunteer bean until I began growing this pole bean. Ed Hume Seeds says it is a rattlesnake type. I wonder if the other rattlesnakes are as hardy!

Over in the bean patch with some of Russ' beans, the story is a little grim. Not a single Green Kidney has emerged and the one Colored bean is mighty sickly ... I worry that this is not going well.

The good news is that all of the Purple Kings are above ground, finally! Germination has been fine elsewhere, those other 2 are being passed by.

Fertilized this and that even tho I can't hardly believe any plant could have used any from the previous application. I try to stay on an every 30 day schedule, + or -. Organic fertilizer doesn't go away quickly, nor does it really come available quickly. It becomes kind of a money in the bank sort of thing. Still, I don't want any plant to have an unmet need. Their opportunity to grow is too limited during these early weeks.

First plantings of sweet corn have come up well. The tomato plants are beginning to look good despite being all blown off to a northeast angle!

Oh, I did some weeding ...

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I finally got time to work in the veggie garden. I planted the last of the potatoes that overwintered in the basement. They were so ready to be planted! Not a single rotten spud, but there were roots and stems aplenty on each small potato. There even were small potatoes already started growing so I planted and harvested quarter-sixed new potatoes the same day.

I finished planting all the tomato plants -- somewhere near 30 varieties with two plants of each kind. It is so neat having raised beds. After 2 inches of rain, I was still able to get them planted.

I also planted a couple rows of Blue Jade corn and one 5'X10' bed of Stowell Evergreen sweet corn.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dug out the chicken coop, got 3 wagon loads of compost. I had already weeded out the failed squash beds, so I shoveled compost in the beds and dug it in good. I top dressed the Anasazi corn with chicken compost for the second time. I had a pile of grass from cutting the lawn, so I mulched the green beans, Anasazi corn and the butterbeans with the clippings. I planted 3 hills of Yellow Crookneck squash of 5 seeds each in the back yard garden where the Peaches N' Cream failed corn grew. I planted 5 Yellow Patty Pan squash seeds, 3 White Marrow Lebanese squash seeds, 6 Zucchini seeds, and 5 Tromboncino squash seeds. I drove 2 T-posts in the ground and tied up a couple of tomato plants that were wandering off..... I mulched the squash I planted with grass clippings. I watered the backyard, moving the sprinkler around until afternoon. I watered everything I planted, then it rained just as I got done. I put a bag of leaves in the coop, will wait a few days then I'll fill it up with leaves and start over! I picked 5 Homestead tomatoes this morning. Waiting for DH to get home to pick tomatoes in the front yard. He loves to pick!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled some weeds.

There is so much I planned on having done in this years garden, and most of it has gone begging again. :(

Maybe I should just look at the reality of my life and accept what I am actually capable of. :\

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Continued picking strawberries (couple of wild ones in there), and decided to make a fruit patch by cutting back the jungle that is one part of the bottom garden. I've dug a 10 x 6ft bed so far (probably 4 or 5 times that left to do). Planted 8 or so raspberries for an autumn crop, 3 currants and a gooseberry in the first round.

Beneath this plot is an old septic tank that flooded 2 years ago (yep). Now that's dug out/filled in.

Putin' the back into it ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 226