What did YOU do in your garden today :P

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
From yesterday... Sucker pruned all the tomatoes and tied them to the stakes. Ran the tiller (the smaller one that doesn't drag me after it) and got the little weeds knocked back in between the couple of rows I haven't mulched yet. Did a little more mulching, but ran out of straw! Planted some wild flower mix in a few bare spots around the sunflower patch. Really wanted cosmos, but couldn't find my seed packet. Tied the cukes to their trellis, trying to train them where I want them to go. Replanted a few beans for those varieties that didn't germinate 100%.

I have lots of baby tomatoes setting on and the cukes are starting to set too. There are baby peppers on two of the mild banana pepper plants. Corn is about a foot high now.

I still have a little hoeing I'd like to get done, hopefully this weekend. I also have some things need sprayed with fungicide too, but it has been raining so much lately, almost daily. I'm lucky to get anything done at all.

So far so good though. I am still ahead of the weeds in the garden. :weee The front flowerbed is needing some attention now, but at least those weeds are easy to pull out from that deep mulch.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a brief rain shower we stopped out at the lot and looked to see what needs picking. Thankfully today will be dry. So this evening we will be out to gather more peas and kale and to watch the zucchini grow! When we got there we found a rabbit had got in under the wire of the beets bed and was frantically trying to get out when he saw us pull in. Lucky bunny got out while DH was looking for something to dispatch him! Now there are nearly no tops on the beets. Bad bunny. :(

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had rain every day here for about a week. Rained continuously from about 10:00 last night till......now......still raining. Rain forecasted Thursday and Friday. Needless to say, there's not a lot getting done in the garden, except that I can hear the weeds growing.
I bet we are not in a drought here anymore.:\

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I feel your pain @so lucky.
With less than an inch to go, we will set a a new record for June rainfall! All the major rivers are flooding here, and still rising. I'm actually surprised my area is not even worse than it is.
But, yesterday, It did NOT rain! :woot

I weeded the onions and blueberries, made another batch of repellent and sprayed the deer buffet, deadheaded some roses and checked for bugs (I think it's too wet for them too, YAY!)
Moved to the front shade garden to weed when the sun got hot.
The water is almost down enough to mow ALL the grass!
I emptied the mole trap, 2 for 2!... and beat up a small deer (okay, I may have dreamt that)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeded, weeded and weeded. Today found flower plants 4/$.10 soooo bought and planted them.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mowed the pathways. Weeded most of the beds. Prepped a bed for another planting of beans. Took out most of the lettuces. I left 4-5 plants of each variety for seed. The rest were/will be chicken and rabbit food. Now the carrots I planted with the lettuce will have a chance to see the sun.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First harvest! The blackberries came from the woods, tho. Not sure how much I'm going to get from the ones in the garden because of the rough winter we had.

10477844_10152496939504826_6833563032921350374_o.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@curly_kate That all looks yummy. DH brought home some of the wild blackberries tonight also. :drool We got lots of peas and vines are drying up. The green beans are just starting to bloom.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@curly_kate, that harvest looks delicious. Those berries are ones we call black-caps (or black-cap raspberries) around here. Ours are still green, but this should be a great year for them with all our moisture. Our blackberries will ripen about 3 weeks after the black-caps are done.

Those peas would never have made it to the kitchen table. I hardly ever get to the point of steaming them or using them in a stir fry. You are a far, far better [wo]man than I am.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used DH's table grinder today to sharpen my hoe to a knife-like edge (usually I use a rasp, but he finally took it out of the box and installed it, so I decided to go the quicker route!) Went out there and slayed me some weeds, oh yeah. :cool:

Side dressed the corn with fertilizer.
We had a good soaking summer shower and I swear everything doubled in size instantly. :ep

Latest posts