What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, the doc gave me a 'superman shot' today so I should be able to actually get some stuff done this week. If I could just find a way to get all that nice cow poop from the pasture into my garden!!! The tires came off my wheel barrow and the tractor won't fit. There is a lot to be said for horsedrawn implements. Wish I had some! :gig

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tires came off your wheelbarrow? That's one that should be photographed!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I haven't done anything yet today, but I will after work. I got me a list longer then my arm still to go through. I did get corn planted yesterday, as well as some more weeding. I watered what I planted on Sunday. It was supposed to rain on and off Sunday night up until 5 pm Monday. I think we got 5 drops of rain that stopped because it saw me look! :barnie

Today I have about 12 more tomatoes to get in the ground. I did get my basil and dill transplanted on Sunday, along with all our peppers. Then I find the danged cat walked her fat butt through that part of the garden and she snapped several of my tender peppers like twigs. I'm telling you.... the cat better recount her lives, she's on her last one!!! :smack

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Tires came off your wheelbarrow? That's one that should be photographed!
Sorta like a low version of a pole vault???

Vfem, my after work garden plans are to weed eat. I'm SOO EXCITED - really I am! My good buddy the brush-whacker had a clutch-inary infarction complicated by a blockage at the spark plug at the end of last summer so I've got weeds along my fence lines that have been mocking me for MONTHS. I got it back from the repair guy yesterday and can't wait to get home and start whacking some weeds.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whacking weeds... and whacking moles! hahahaha We did that last weekend. Those whackers break so easy.

I just came in from weeding out where I need to put more tomatoes. I just went out to feed the meat birds and new chicks (now 11 weeks old). Then I ended up watering 2 of the beds I planted melons and cukes in.

Now I should go water myself before work. I'm stinky already! :lol:

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anyone else that makes plans of things to do and nothing works out that way? That was yesterday for us! Between donating blood to the Red Cross, putting up bird feeders at the nursing home, doing funeral visitation (been 3 deaths from our church this week) and then hours trying to catch a swarm of bees (no success). No gardening at all!! Oh well, later in the week maybe.

That swarm came from one of our hives and landed on a small tree trunk. I have brushed them off and put into a hive but they won't stay so guess I have not gotten the queen. It is hard to get them all when around a 3 inch trunk with dozens of branches. Been a very bad winter for honey gardening. We lost 5 of 7 hives of bees, have heard that is nation wide, worst year for bee loss in long time. We did install 3 new hives Saturday afternoon. Hopefully we can keep them alive.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you bee plenty busy, '4acres!

The flats of onions are ready to go to the gardens. I don't think they really care to be out there with the frosts but they sure would like to be out of their shallow flats of soil!

There wasn't enuf opportunity to get away to do any of it - what with "greenhouse duty." There will be several days invested in those onion beds once the weather warms enuf. Could also mention the organic fertilizer invested on those beds, as well, so as to have happy onions :).

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
Anyone else that makes plans of things to do and nothing works out that way? That was yesterday for us! Between donating blood to the Red Cross, putting up bird feeders at the nursing home, doing funeral visitation (been 3 deaths from our church this week) and then hours trying to catch a swarm of bees (no success). No gardening at all!! Oh well, later in the week maybe.

That swarm came from one of our hives and landed on a small tree trunk. I have brushed them off and put into a hive but they won't stay so guess I have not gotten the queen. It is hard to get them all when around a 3 inch trunk with dozens of branches. Been a very bad winter for honey gardening. We lost 5 of 7 hives of bees, have heard that is nation wide, worst year for bee loss in long time. We did install 3 new hives Saturday afternoon. Hopefully we can keep them alive.
Last week on the CBS evening news, there were several segments about the decline in honeybee populations. They were going to say what was suspected to cause it one evening that I didn't get to watch the news. I wonder, did they come out and say GMO corn was causing the bees to die? (the corn that has BT in it) Did anyone see it? It would surprise me if they whispered the word "Monsanto" on the evening news.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if CBSNews said "monsanto" or not, So Lucky.

Here is a link to a story from a week ago: CBS, Pesticide blamed . . .

Coating seeds with the pesticide? I didn't know they were doing that! That amounts to a "systemic insecticide" and means the entire plant is growing while toxic. The claim is that the toxins of some of these systemic pesticides "degrade" after several months, even tho' they are within the plant tissue and not just on the surface of the plant. Keep in mind that there is a good amount of time between time the plant starts out as a seed and the time that it flowers.

Personally, I think the guy who said that there is "a toxic soup" in their environment for the bees to get thru must have it right. It is true for us, also.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, 2 products used on seed. Poncho (Bayer product) and Gaucho (if forget who makes that) both are nicotein based insecticides that apply to the seed. It is only in small amounts on seed. It does go systemic but you are talking about 500mg on the seed, so not much is in plant. Enough if wireworms eat the whole thing, it will kill them. Other insects just munch right on through.

In Germany (Bayer) I believe nicotein insecticides were banned. They used extremely high rates and allowed it to get into their already polluted rivers. Before people start on Poncho, have to outlaw growing tobacco, all nicotein products--organic uses them, people smoke, chew them, etc.........

Probably should have emailed you this.

It's raining here so good to read as others are playing in their gardens......mine's too wet.

Latest posts