What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
hum what happened in the garden today......

pulled it up. among other choirs

harvested everything in the main garden
bells
eggplant
beans
a few carrots from the raised beds
lost a few rosemary spears while pulling up the fence

sure does look naked now

at least the rosemary is happy

next years compost

asparagus slowly going dormant

for those who have asked how do i know if i have a female. this is a female going to seed... yes going to save some of the seeds

also did do a little cultivating in the main garlic bed
its a mixture of
spanish rojo, turkish giant and killarney red
still need to put compost around all of it.

still have many many weekends of things to do before it's totally put to bed for the winter.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
your garlic looks good Major. when did you put it in down there?

got mine in today! got my asparagus seedlings that i started waaaay back in the spring finally in a patch of their own ground. also had a few divides from my chives that had been in some small pots, got those in the ground too.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
your garlic looks good Major. when did you put it in down there?

got mine in today! got my asparagus seedlings that i started waaaay back in the spring finally in a patch of their own ground. also had a few divides from my chives that had been in some small pots, got those in the ground too.
Planted the garlic about 3 weeks ago will say all but a handful is up and
The elephant garlic should be up in the next week

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should have cleaned out the chicken coop while DH was raking, but instead I put fencing around the compost bed in the garden so I can add coop litter without it overflowing the bed. Tried to turn the compost, but couldn't. It seems someone (me?) put a lot of dry bean, pea, and asparagus stems on top of the litter and under the grass cuttings. Just made trying to turn parts at a time undoable for this old lady.

Still, with the fencing I have room for another level of litter on the bed. Here's hoping everything 'smooshes' down by spring. DH has made a lot of progress with the leaf pile already -- and there's lots of leaves left to fall. I put fencing 4ft high beside my singing trees. This is the third year we've added leaves to the 15 ft. diameter circle. Each winter the leaves pack down to a fraction of their height until we fill the structure again. I am planning to shred the whole mess next spring -- should get it done yet this year, but probably won't unless we have better weather soon.

Picked the last of the pumpkins and squash. Found a nice assortment of colored corn in the garden that should look nice as decorations with the squashes. Oh, yes, and I found some garlic I forgot I had planted last spring. It was hiding under the acorn squash vines, but looks great. I think I will pull one to see how it did before I decide whether to leave them until spring or dig them all now.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just raked a lot of leaves today. Picked a few pods.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i'm going to clean house today - because I must. however, Tuesday will be a garden day (& clean out the chicken coop day :sick ).

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, finally planted my garlic. I wanted to do it on Oct. 15 but my zuchinni plant wasn't ready to be pulled yet. It was finally getting too moldy so0 out it went and in went the garlic. Planted about 70 organic cloves from the grocery store. It has always done well and I hate to pay for shipping and those high prices.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I pulled all tomato plants and harvested anything good left on them. The harvest is waiting to be processed on my kitchen table. I think I'll have 6-7 quarts, plus some beefsteak tomatoes for eating. We are skipping any more frosts and going STRAIGHT to freezing for lows ALL of this week, through the weekend.
I piled up all of the plants to dry and to be burned sometime soon. Then the ashes go back into the garden, along with the chicken poo from the chickens who have been eating less-than-the-best tomatoes. It is the "circle of life." :lol:
Looking forward to a CCCOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDD winter! :ep

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Little Miss Insomniac here, good morning all. Love the garden photos.

Yesterday I brought in the sorghum seed heads from the shed. I just grew a small bit for testing and seed, the canes are very sweet.
I'd love to show off photos but my brain is too scrambled to figure it out this time.

There's enough seed to do a real crop if I had a clue about pressing. But I find the seed a delicious substitute for barley, and the flour is very good.

I also put the last of the red sweet chilies in the dehydrator for later grinding. Also a tray of my volunteer tomatillos split to dry for seed, and a handful of some heirloom peppers I found still going in one of the overgrown neglected beds. On these, I figure if it's tough enough to duke it out in these conditions, it's worth saving!

Tomorrow, nope that'd be today, I plan on setting traps for the mouse invasion, clearing beds and transplanting greens. The dog chased a chipmunk and dug an enormous hole in the three minutes I turned my back, right through the tomatoes. Oh well, they are going soon anyway.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
6484_image.jpg

I have no idea why it is flipping all my photos

Latest posts