What did You Learn (non-gardening)?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eedle-doddle: in the Scottish dictionary, is a muddle-headed person who can be relied on to do nothing at all, no matter how dire the circumstances.

Here's something that I happened upon that could be seen as taking it a step further by acting in an evil way. At least, with words ...

;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tone.

Music​
Color​
Muscle strength​

What in Heavens does one have to do with another? I asked myself ;). You might say, there's a certain mood that comes from colors and sounds. Mood?

Listing Music first is the tiniest of clues. Latin language had a related word which was indeed applied to music but it meant "stretching," we learn from the etymology. Stretching? Yes, as might be done with a string.

How this came about almost certainly has to do with stringed musical instruments :). The idea of color came later.

Here's a bonus: tony ;). The dictionary says that American clothing makers originally used it in reference to reddish clothes that were popular in the 1920's.

Steve
who does some real stretching reaching for ground level in the garden o_O

Last edited:

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Where did you hear that? Timbuktu is not a country, it's a city in what is now the country of Mali. Check it out on Google.
Welp. The answer to where I found that was google lol. Now I’ve made a fool of myself. Sheesh I wish I could find the links. Because I doubled checked. I was running on less than two hours of sleep yesterday though lol. :hide :hide :hide

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why Right? Why Left?

What do they have to do with political ideas?

It began with the seating of the National Assembly delegates of the First French Republic. Commoners sat on the left of the presiding officer and the "nobles" were on his right.

digitS'

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welp. The answer to where I found that was google lol. Now I’ve made a fool of myself. Sheesh I wish I could find the links. Because I doubled checked. I was running on less than two hours of sleep yesterday though lol. :hide :hide :hide
Its ok. I am still stuck on horses with a horn that don't exist when leopard spotted, ostrich legged, 14 foot necked creatures with a deer face do.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I was wondering about starlings and how they gather in those huge flocks with the mesmerizing flights... Life must not be too difficult for starlings. And, I can remember the first starlings that I ever saw ... a few short years ago.
Ten weeks later, I happened onto this:

Don't be fooled​

Despite the incredible size of the flocks, starling numbers are just a fraction of what they used to be. Huge starling flocks used to gather over Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Belfast, but today you have a much better chance of seeing the birds in rural areas.
The starling population has fallen by more than 80 per cent in recent years, meaning they are now on the critical list of UK birds most at risk.
The decline is believed to be due to the loss of permanent pasture, increased use of farm chemicals and a shortage of food and nesting sites in many parts of the UK.

Royal Society for the Protection of Birds

Videos of flocks in flight at that website. One can almost understand why they choose to fly this way. Their movements singly or in small groups seems so spontaneous. I won't say random. They obviously are reacting strongly to their environment and other birds.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zChains.jpg

see the chain & shackle ?

National Park Service

Latest posts