What do u spend on garden plants and seeds?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have tried to be conscientious about seed costs but have been very indulgent to whims, Seed'

Since much of the seed is for food plants, it's an investment. Long ago, I passed the stage where my garden seed cost more than the food value through the season. Practicality was applied to care. That said, with a distant garden, fuel cost erodes food value. Selling surplus produce makes up for it. It make a world of sense to reflect on the value of exercise and healthful diet, even if the accounting is next to impossible.

I really wish that I had off-season interests that would be as much as benefit. The only thing I can think of is to migrate from one hemisphere to another. How's that for a one-track mind?! I'm serious, however 🤪. The practicality of maintaining 2 residences and the travel 😟 ...

Since you asked, Seed: 450 plus a little, averaging the last 3 years from schedule f. This year, it will be about 100 and there won't be any schedule f to file on April 15. Yeah, lots of leftovers.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if i were younger and in better shape i wouldn't mind just being a travelling gardener in the winter, like tell people i would come and help them with their gardens and projects during the winter in exchange for a place to sleep and a shower. don't worry about food costs as i do have some income so i can contribute towards that and other expenses. kinda like WWOOFERs, but a bit of a step up. i can't do tents/camping much though. my body just isn't that decent any more to put up with such abuse.

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep putting my head in the sand and don't count!!! :hu :hit
THIS year I plunked down just under $300.00 on seeds and 2 grapes and 1 1/2 pounds of garlic And 20 asparagus plants (for DD, the Chef.) I bought from High mowing, Jung's and Stark Bros. First time with High Mowing. The Johnagold apple trees I bought from Stark Bros 2 years ago look great, (Except I need to run rope through a piece of old hose and try to gently straighten the stems!)
I have, in the past, Impulse bought plants. I am convinced that I bought some diseases in from box store plants, so I'm pretty much done with that.
I am buying a bag of potting soil this week bc I Need to transplant my garlic. Mid American Gardener answered a question about baking soil.
They said, "Do it ONLY if you hate your family!"
I have an 18 inch wide, 12 inch high fire grate (from CW reenacting, and I may try my luck cooking some in my firepit, but that will be for later.)
I have PLENTY of soil less starter mix.
Every place that I organized will save me time. My mother gave me 2 plastic barrels previously used for water conditioner salt, and I keep my bags of soil and starter mix in those, in the basement, and they sit and wait for use. THAT way, I can buy multiple bags, especially when they are clearanced.
Now I don't feel so bad about spending $100 on seeds, lol. Thanks for that!

Can you explain what they meant about the baking soil?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now I don't feel so bad about spending $100 on seeds, lol. Thanks for that!

Can you explain what they meant about the baking soil?
Me either :gig I just bought more seed:gig
sterilizing it for seed starting. it smells pretty bad.
I’ve done it before. It wasn’t as bad as I expected. Honestly didn’t really bother me much at all. My problem was it was so time consuming.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hopefully everyone realizes there is no correct answer. Area you live in will influence what you spend. Whether you want a new, expensive variety or are into saving all your own seed, will vary what you spend with no correct or morally better answer.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with baking the soil. No family members wearing gas masks either! :gig

i only did it once. got told with no uncertainty that i would not do that again. about the same level of toldness as the time i blew green food coloring all over the white painted ceiling in the kitchen...

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
Why did you blow green food coloring all over the kitchen ceiling? Was it the start of a mural?

Since a lot of seed is saved from the previous crops, it's about $20 - $30 per year spent on new varieties of seed. However, this year I'm looking for a Zepherine Drouhin rose bush (thornless, scented climbing rose) and that will probably cost more than the entire seed order. New varieties of seeds is about all that is bought, though. The fertilizer is from under the bunny hutches and we mostly direct seed so save on starting soil.

There's also a lot of garden plants that are from food. Pineapple tops make more pineapples, sweet potato vines make more 'taters, green onion roots make more onions, dried beans can be planted, etc., etc.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why did you blow green food coloring all over the kitchen ceiling? Was it the start of a mural?

haha, no, i was trying to make a CO2 bomb and i wanted some color in it. i had put the vinegar in the container and then the idea was to wrap some baking soda in some toilet paper and use the top to hold it in place, but when i went to put the top on in the sink the baking soda started to fall into the vinegar and so i jammed the top on and hoped it held long enough for me to get it outside to where i could throw it. uh, nope... :) yes, poor planning on my part. :./

Latest posts